Mavericks Installation of E5420 Issues

jparnell8839

Ok, so thanks to this post I was actually able to get OS X to boot on the 5420. Thank Bob for that. I got the /Extra folder and the corrected DSDT.aml for the 1366 x 768 resolution.

Then, I had an issue with the Installer wanting me to connect a bluetooth keyboard (prior to selecting the language), even though the built-in keyboard works (on Chameleon, anyway). Well, I disabled bluetooth in the BIOS, and it stopped doing that. However, after selecting the language, installer crashes and gives an error log. I managed to save it. It is attached.

At this point, I'm lost. I dont know how to read Mac logs. I've become accustomed to Linux (minorly) but I'm primarily used Windows my whole life. I DO have OS X 10.9 on a Dell Optiplex 960, and it works good (installed using directions from http://tonycrapx86.org using his unifail installation method. Guess what, that doesn't work on these :P KP's out the wazoo).

I've used both AHCI and ATA hard drive modes (neither had an effect on the outcome, either way). I dont know if there's other BIOS settings I need to alter. I'm hoping to overcome obstacles here with this post :)

Any help is appreciated.

Installer Log 30-Jan-2014.txt 

-----EDIT-----

Ok, so OS X 10.9 is a go. Still haven't run EDP because there is not an EDP profile for the 5420. I have created a thread in the EDP subforum.

Works:

Built In Sound

Sound hardware keys (Vol+, Vol-, Mute)

Bluetooth

Built in laptop monitor

Built in keyboard (Fix Command/Apple key switch: System Preferences ==> Keyboard ==> Modifier Keys ==> change Command Key to Option Key, and Option key to Command Key. Thanks to npjohnson)

Built in Mouse (as a mouse, not as a trackpad, no gestures)

Function + Up/Down Arrow to adjust brightness

Sleep/Suspend
Middle mouse mini-joystick thingy that nobody ever uses

Hardware Bluetooth/WiFi switch

Internal Mic

IEEE 1394 (Untested by me, but supported OOB, reported by npjohnson post 30)

Does Not Work:

Built In Ethernet (even with BCM57XX Kext)

Built In Intel WiFi (obviously. Ordered Dell WiFi card and it worked without any further installation/configuration)

HDMI Video Out

HDMI Audio

VGA Out

Untested:

SD Card slot

Express Card (Reports of it working OOB on E6420, untested on E5420. I dont have any EC hardware :P )

ON A SIDE NOTE:

2 things I'd like to see fixed, but are in no way hindering operation:

• On integrated keyboard, ALT key is acting as Super (Apple Logo) key. Windows key (Super) is assumedly acting as ALT key, don't know the function of ALT on Macs, don't know how to test. Known fix?
  • Integrated mouse trackpad does not seem to support gestures (my primary usage is for scrolling). Is there a known fix for this?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing, MyHack never prompted me to install the /Extra folder. The above was what happened when I simply copied it, I just re-installed the OS X installer with MyHack and installed the /Extra folder AFTER the completion with MyHack again. We'll see what happened. I saw it did permissions things, so I'm hoping this fixes it.

Ok, now when I boot with -x -v boot options, it goes through grey verbose, then black verbose, then the boot screen flashed with grey momentarily, and then went black. I think I saw a thread on this, I'm going to check it out.

This is as much help/assistance for me as it is my own notes so I don't lose track of what's going on. Again, any assistance would be appreciated.

• Moderators

Ok, now when I boot with -x -v boot options, it goes through grey verbose, then black verbose, then the boot screen flashed with grey momentarily, and then went black. I think I saw a thread on this, I'm going to check it out.

This is as much help/assistance for me as it is my own notes so I don't lose track of what's going on. Again, any assistance would be appreciated.

Make sure the DSDT you use does not have dual link enabled.

• Administrators

probably something like this 

"AAPL01,DualLink", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

change 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
to 
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
if i recall correctly

probably something like this 

"AAPL01,DualLink", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

change 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
to 
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
if i recall correctly

Ok, the patched DSDT from the link in my OP had the 0x01, whereas the stock DSDT for the Extra folder did not. I didn't know of any other differences, so I just patched the original one, changed the 1 to a 0, re-compiled, placed it in the /Extra folder, and re-installed /Extra to my installer.

Thanks for the assist. Let's hope this does it.

With that log, I left the black screen alone for about 5 minutes to see what would happen, and noticed it appeared to go to sleep. When I pressed the power button to wake it, I got the Language selection screen. After selecting the language, I got the error log (attached above).