Intel NUC does not install

pewe1263

Hi MH,

can you let me know the HW you use for the internal mSata ?

I think my 8GB reported kingston 1600 CL11 RAM will not be the cause for this unexpected behavior.

Do you use a WLAN/BT card, if so can let me know what you use as well. Since in my boot log, one of the first non-expected messages is concerning some BT (I assume it stands for bluetooth) issue.

Furthermore I figured out where the SandForce mentioned device in my list is for. It's for the mSata having a SandForce chip, but it beats me why DiskUtility can't partition it at all.

All, or pretty much all fields in the partition pane are greyed out ?????

And the reported size of 33MB is a little bit surprising ????

Thanks for your time and help in this.

Cheers,

-PW

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using a Samsung MZ-MPC0320/0H1 mSATA which also has a HP part number on it. At the time, I wanted something cheap to test with so I bought this on e-bay. It is only 32GB and it works fine but am already looking for something bigger. I partitioned it with Disk Utility and it reports 31.67 GB. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't  be able to get the full capacity of your SSD.

I don't have any card in the half-slot yet. I believe you get that message even if there is no Bluetooth hardware in the system.

-MH

Just installed the generic extra on the USB using myHack, but crashes as well. Pretty much at the same spot breaks off the installation after the language selection by showing the installation screen where the log can be viewed, saved, and various different options. Of which the disk manager is one and this time my mSata is properly reported as a Kingston SMS200S360G with a Total of 59GB. But it is here were the install stops ..... Bummer ....

Any further tips or hints how to solve this ???

Would be greatly apriciated !!!

There is one thing I'm curious about. You seem to be installing 10.9.1 directly. I am familiar with making a USB installer from the downloaded Maverick app which would be 10.9.0. I understand Apple has previously released installers for updated versions such as 10.6.3 but I wasn't aware there was one for 10.9.1.

-MH

So I looked at the App Store and it gives you the latest version so that's not it. The Bios version is the only thing I can come up with.

-MH

Hi MH,

well, that's what the OSX Installer is reporting. I've saved the OSX Installer packages to my network so I can easily use the dmg(s) over and over again.

Now SL 10.6.3 on DVD crashes immediately, so I guess that version won't work.

Of course I tried the latest OSX I've got and that's 10.9.1. That seems to install but reports with only 5 or 4 minutes to go a nice OSX Install failed. I've tried multiple times but all the same.

After have read through your log, I noticed it was performed using 10.8. So I purchased ML as well via the apple store, got only 10.8.5. So the following I performed from my E6430 OSX 10.9.1:

1. Got a new USB stick (8GB)
  2. Lauched myHack 3.3.1
  3. Create OSX 10.8 install USB using the saved ML DMG
  4. Waited for the process to complete and ejected the USB
  5. Got over to my DC3217IYE
  6. Booted from the USB Stick
  7. Still got the msg 128MB not supported for the HD4000, continued that, no special boot options entered.
  8. At the language screen selected the english one (the first in the list)
  9. Got the OSX Continue to Install screen
  10. Used DiskUtility to erase and partition the mSata for GUID and took the journal option it has to be noted that at the first aid screen the verify options are greyed out
  11. After completion back to the OSX Install screen and continued
  12. What surprised me as well is, that when ressing the customized install, an complete empty window is displayed.
  13. After agreement etc, the installation continued counting down from 21 minutes, it feels like it takes more though.
  14. With 5 minutes to go the screen turns completely white and the mouse freezes ??? Never had that before.
  15. Just to see if keyboard reacts, I hit num lock and the install screen came back and the install continued ....
  16. .... for a little while and then the window with OSX Install Failed with some text that I should contact the SW provider or try again ....
  17. .... don't know if apple would play along though ....
  18. .... tried again and the white screen came earlier now with ten minutes to go but the fail came at the same 5 or 4 minutes to go ...
  19. Powered off the DC3217IYE by using the installer option, that worked quit good and fast, happened within seconds.
  20. Got back to my Mav E6430 and installed the generic extras.
  21. After that went through back to the DC3217IYE and tried again ...
  22. .... booting the usb, erase & partitioned the mSata, installed OSX .... same behavior failed at 4 minutes to go ...
  23. Back to the E6430 again and installed the 10.8. boot pack extras as downloaded from the web.
  24. Booted the DC3217IYE again.
  25. The nice OSX Latitude boot screen came, counting down in seconds, no option taken, verbose mode executed, but I didn't even get to the OSX Install, panic crash ....
  26. that's the same, at least the behavior, as with the 10.9.1 version.
  27. .... getting rather dissappointed in OSX ... this is almost as worse as the seatlle based OS ....
  28. Talking about it and to rule out some real HW flaws and looking for at least some succes ....
  29. I choose to tyr my luck with the other OS 8.1
  30. After killing all partitions during that installation, it just installed and after installation of JRiver MCE it directly performed as expected.
  31. At least that worked .... so I could sleep with the feeling that if al fails there is still an alternative to OSX .... although, not really ....

What can I provide or perform myself to let you guys have a closer look at the problem with this DC3217IYE ???? 

@MH, Can you let me know your BIOS settings so I can match ???

Anything I can do to help in this quest ???

Thanks anyway for your time and thoughts !!!!

Greetings,

-PW

sorry, didn't go ....

after the fail message waited a bit and booted from the mSata drive but it still came back to use the USB. So powered down, removed the USB and booted again but the system found no bootable device. So fired up with GRUB 2, listed all the devices and partitions and it included in the list the partition of the mSata, multiple. Booted via the USB again and installed Chameleon via the myHack tool. Now the mSata booted but didn't get far ... started to complain about /mach_kernel not found and repeated that every time I hit a key ... too bad ... but was worth a shot.

Oh, by the way did insert a Intel WiFi + BT card, no effects noted sofar (Dual band wireless AC 7260 2x2 AC+BT)

This is a basic 10.8.5 install ... no extras at all

Next tip for me to try ??

Aha a partial succes .... Copied over the mach_kernel from USB boot to mSata root and rebooted ....

Well, the mach_kernel message went away and the Apple boot screen was displayed, but just for a fraction of second and started to reboot by itself and promted for enter to continue and then a very brief moment to sow the Apple boot screen etc., etc., ....

Actualy no real go ....

What makes me wonder, does the BIOS version has a play in this. MH has 0020 and no issues, I have 0040 and a no go. If I look at MH's log there is pretty much no exception reported and mine just can't get enough of it.....

Why do I get the hard cases having pretty much no knowledge of the matter and the people who do just get it Working without having issues, at least it looks like it .....

Anyway, does one of you guys have another idea how to get this going ....

Much obliged,

-PW