Asus K53SV-SX146V (i5 2410M): which bootpack and EDP?

pckrullenbol

I have a strange problem with the number of cores, it doesn't seems a big problem, but maybe it's easy to fix?
The ASUS K53SV-SX146V has an 2nd generation i5-2410M, 2.3 GHz, 2 cores.
This shows correctly in the system info via "about this mac", number of cores is 2.
In terminal however "sysctl -n hw.ncpu" shows 4, which is not correct.
Activity Monitor and Menumeters shows 4 cores as well.

I installed the Intel Power Gadget which shows real time the cpu-frequency.
On my 'real mac' at work (with a i5) this works perfectly but on the ASUS laptop the graphics are scrambled.
Is there a way the force the number of cores via the ssdt.aml, bootflag, a plist?

Thanks for helping.

you might need to add the chameleon flag ForceFullMemInfo=Yes in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist under kernel flags section for the newer chameleon versions to work for your machine.

This had no effect, I installed Chameleon r2377 and checked the option "Force Full Mem Info", but after this it didn't boot anymore. So I downgraded to version r2327, and it boots perfectly.

• Administrators

I confirm! OS X shows the total number of threads as total number of CPUs if multi-threading is activated (can be configurable in BIOS).

I see exactly that on my Precision 670 for instance: 2 x dual-core CPU, each core with 2 threads -> 2 x 2 Cores x 2 Threads = 8 logical cores. A tool such as iStats shows me exactly that: 8 CPUs/Cores but SysProfiler shows 2 x CPUs as expected with 2 threads each.

All is Ok, there is no problem, it is perfectly normal that an app that supports multi-threading shows the total number of threads.

But all this is off-topic, so please open up a new (forum) thread to discuss matters that are not related to boot pack/EDP for your model.