Trouble installing Mavericks on Optiplex 9020

ktbos

Realz and Jake Lo,  here is my Extensions directory along with my smbios.plist and my DSDT.aml.  Give it a try and let me know if it is better for you than what you have.  Extra-9020-ktbos.zip

Realz, I've been working on the audio issue with Jake and it appears he figured out how to get VoodooHDA working well now.  The VoodooHDA included here is one I compiled with his suggestion.  (Also, since the HDEF section of the DSDT doesn't need to be the same for VoodooHDA to work, the included DSDT has that removed so you can try the one in the attachment.  However, my DSDT also has additional content for an additional SATA card I've added so it's possible that will cause new problems for you - hopefully, that will just be ignored.)  

For hibernate, I wonder if part of the problem comes from the smbios setting of the computer you have.  I've included my smbios so you can give that a try and see if it impacts your hibernate situation.  

Hello ktbos,

I finally tried your files after hours of backups and unfortunately, my situation is not really better.

We apparently have the same /Extra/smbios.plist and I've put your DSDT.aml instead of mine but the hibernate still results with one working screen over two. (as you can see below)

About the VoodooHDA.kext, I cannot tell if it is much better or not but I still have some additional noise when loud bass notes are played. (that's not annoying, the sound is clear but it's not 'super perfect').

Here is what I have when I quit the hibernate mode  :

oJfM7fY.jpg

Did I missed something about your files ? Did you put something unusual in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist ? Or maybe another mach_kernel ? 

The big difference between our two files is how many sections of log file there is and how long each section is.  

I have 6 sections and you have 32.  Wow.  How many disks do you have mounted on your system?   And how many different USB drives have you inserted into the computer at one time?  Not sure if that is related to the number of sections, but just in case.  

And have you logged in to Apple through iTunes or through Mail or anything?  I'm wondering why you get so many more of those preventing sleep from address book than I do.  I have 186 and you have 5170.  Again, I'm not sure if your log is just being more chatty than mine and they are all equally unimportant, but the quantity difference is significant.  I haven't yet connected my test install to anything accounts.  (Actually, I think I used the AppStore.)

But what I was looking to see was information about battery status and the rest of the info about the settings for sleep and yours matches mine for the things I was looking for.  

(One other difference is that you have 4 entries in your powerstate section whereas my file has only 1.  At the time I ran my pmset, I had one display connected so I connected a second display and I ended up with 4 entries like you.  Not sure why 1 display has 1 AppleDisplay and 2 displays have 4 AppleDisplays, but at least it is consistent between our computers.  Perhaps related to extra Display software required to drive more than one display.)  

I also noticed something in your file named "jp_co_roland_RDUSB012ADe".  And while that might not be a problem it makes me think that you have really moved into the computer already.  And frankly that makes it tough to figure out whether it might be something you added or installed that is causing trouble or if it is the core install that is at fault.  If you have another disk you could use to do a new install (any old thing lying around that can be connected temporarily or even a USB drive, perhaps), that would be the best way to debug.  And even if a clean install didn't work, at least we'd know it was an OS/install issue.  

Realz and Jake, when I first switched over to using hibernatemode=3, I also cleared out any sleepimage file that might have been there.  For a computer that had never slept to disk before, it shouldn't have mattered.  And for a computer that does sleep to disk, it should clear it out every time it creates new image.  But on the off chance that there's something wrong and you do have an existing sleepimage that cannot be correctly overwritten, it's worth trying this:

sudo rm -f /private/var/vm/sleepimage

ktbos, believe it or not but your boot.plist did the job ! The hibernate works like a charm. I just replaced my file by yours, nothing more, no rm of sleepimage, no new install. (oh I just removed the AddressBook app but with no effect)

I'll make more tests with virtual machines and others applications to see if one of them interfere with the hibernate mode.

I've put both files for comparaison here, with mine at the left and your boot.plist at the right : 

978bc0e15df199dcfedfb8fcb149e5da.png

As you can see, the difference that may matter is probably located at the first key (?)

Anyway, ktbos, you made my day !

I am psyched to hear that we got it working.  But I'm baffled about how it ended up working.  By using my boot.plist verbatim (and not updating filenames as I had suggested), you are no longer using the custom DSDT I sent.  As I understand it, if you don't specify a DSDT in the boot.plist, it assumes DSDT.aml in /Extra.  Assuming that is right, do you have /Extra/DSDT.aml?  And if so, can you upload it here so I can figure out what is different about it that makes it work whereas the other one I attached earlier does not!?  This could be the key that helps us figure out why hibernate works in some cases but not in others.  

(If you don't have DSDT.aml in /Extra or I am wrong that it uses what's there when you don't explicitly specify, then I remain baffled - that means you are operating without any DSDT and that's somehow better - at least for hibernate.)