[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E6x20 Yosemite Install

Agrerald

Hey.

I've got it mostly working without needing to boot via USB.

Still:

Need to figure out wifi!!

Can't boot without -v -f flags.

Here's what I did:

1: I followed Jake Lo's Chameleon guide here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-yosemite-install-guide/&do=findComment&comment=45213

2: ...Until having to install Chameleon on the USB drive. Instead, I installed Clover with the specifications from this current guide, including copying the EFI folder over. (I had to overwrite because I can't merge folders in Snow Leopard). 

3: I swithced back to the Chameleon guide, for install and post install.

Then I followed these instructions to make sure the IO80211Family.kext was installed properly for WiFi.

[This changed my wifi status from non existent (a little x in a greyed out wifi icon on status bar), to recognizing wifi, but continually searching without finding any networks].

Anyhow I didn't think I needed to try this rebranding the wifi thing you were suggesting for your Broadcom cards because I have an Atheros card, but maybe I'll try that now?

If anyone has suggestions in the meantime on a WiFi fix, or a boot without -v -f flags fix, let me know!!

ps. I know my wifi card works. (it has worked before with Mavericks and even with yosemite when I briefy had it installed properly with a different method, until I screwed it up) :(

I think its actually the AR9285 i have. I tried your suggestion but it did nothing. still no wifi, still boots with -v -f.

Maybe I have to do that after a clean install, in case the other kext installations mucked it up? I'm only using kext wizard now, installing to s/l/e.

I think its actually the AR9285 i have. I tried your suggestion but it did nothing. still no wifi, still boots with -v -f.

Maybe I have to do that after a clean install, in case the other kext installations mucked it up? I'm only using kext wizard now, installing to s/l/e.

That should still work. I use "Atheros AR5B95 AR9285 Half WiFi Mini PCI-E Card"

Are you certain you placed the original IO80211Family.kex back in SLE?

If you have a spare HDD, you can always make a clean installation of Yosemite as a trouble shooting step, get it working and merge the kext(s) to your problematic HDD.

Check not only S/L/E but also your /extra folder as well for duplicates of the kexts

@ MilkmanZ, @ corydon

Boot with this:

> /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

Once booted, add that to your o.c.b.p under Kernel

@Jake,

Do you mean

1. at bootup screen adding "> /System/Library/Kernels/kernel" instead of "-v -f"?

2. under /System/Library/Kernels/, there is only one file which is kernel. What does o.c.b.p mean? and how to add "> /System/Library/Kernels/kernel"? Please could you elaborate?

Thanks!

It works, thanks Jake!

One more issue,

The OS X losts keyboard sometimes after being waked up from power saving mode.

At the login screen, no mouse pointer and echo in password field even you are fingering the touchpad and  typing keys.

I disabled the bluetooth. It seems OK now.

@Jake

I met a new issue.

I changed the SSD from 128G to Crucial 240G and installed OSX as

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-yosemite-install-guide/&do=findComment&comment=45213.

After  finishing Step 4. I tried to boot from Macintosh SSD. But I couldn't get the chemaleon boot screen. What I got on the screen is as following:

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: GPT

boot0: error

Please help, thanks!