General D830 weirdness - DSDT problem?

wai

I'm using stock install of 10.7.4 with update to 10.7.5 using EDP and various things are unreliable or don't work correctly.

The D830s I have are top-line machines with the NVIDIA graphics (NVS 140M) and the high res screen (1920x1200). The main differences for this machine from a typical config are the 140M and the high res screen.

Some of the odd behavior:

Sound not working (sound chip not found in sys info!)

Trackpad is sluggish, skips

Screen sleep goes to bright white screen instead of black (not system sleep, that works fine) so backlight control is not getting set correctly

intermittent boot failure (panics?) with black or white screen and disk activity (looks like it's doing something) but login screen never appears.

These problems show up in 10.7.5 across multiple machines so it's not one defective machine.

Something about the standard install packages from myHack and EDP is not quite right for this machine. Could this be another "hi res" issue that needs it's own pack like the intel versions?

I'm attaching a few "system dump" files, dumped from one of the machines using Windows, for comparison to the one used for the OSXL packages.

devdump.txt

pcidump.txt

acpi_dsdt.zip

Thanks. I'll try the improved pack.

<rant>

OK. So why is that the pack I get from the download page? It's very frustrating to have the promise of plug-and-play to find out it crashes and burns. The D830 Snow package is also broken if you don't have a 10.6.8 installer. I found my way around the potholes on that one but it wasn't easy.  These OSX versions and machines are now both static for months and years, so the install for these combinations should be bulletproof at this point. I realize they are also not sexy like the new versions so they don't get the attention but it would be nice to have a smooth experience for a change. The D8x0 machines are pretty nice hackintosh platforms (the 830 in particular) and are easily maintained and upgraded.

</rant>

• Administrators

@wai, remind us how much you pay for all this, support included?

If you found you way round potholes, you must have learnt a few things on the way. Good, that's much better than being spoonfed in ignorance, isn't it?

Herve, your updated Extra does not boot. The last line of the -v output is "Resetting IOCatalogue." and then it sits and spins forever.  When I have a chance, I will throw in a spare drive and do a virgin clean install with your pack and see if it's any better. The current installer I have is 10.7.4

In the mean time, any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks again.

OK.

I tried a clean install on bare metal of 10.7.4 and installed the pack provided above.

The machine won't boot. Verbose output shows exceptions from VoodooHDA, then complains that the ACPI SMC driver can't be found and then sits.

Some details:

I'm using myHack 3.3.1 and it is installing whatever version of Chameleon it has builtin and whatever boot args it defaults to.

I had myHack install the Extra from above using the 'Install Extra' > 'Use My Own' option

The BIOS is the latest version (A17) and is configured to the settings given in the sticky thread for that here on OSXL

This machine works fine with other OS payloads (Win, Linux)

Any ideas?

• Administrators

Try with the older FakeSMC v5.2.678 maybe, it's available in the performance tuning thread in R&D->Other Research section. I have not been using Lion since 2012 on my D630n so would have to do a fresh build again to check things out... Maybe by the end of the week... Why don't you opt for Mavericks or Yosemite instead?