Latitude E5420 Yosemite

Kransbox

I see the light at the end if the tunnel, but I'm not quite there yet!

1. I got it up and running and Yosemite is loaded, but the distro I installed seems to be 10.10.1 - as a result my sound and Ethernet are not working?

I saw the update portion in your instructions and tried to install the new applehda.kext but that doesn't seem to fix the audio. Any thoughts?

2. The only way my newly loaded hard drive will boot is if I use the -f flag, otherwise it just hangs at the apple screen about 1/2 through. If I boot with the -v flag only, it stops at the "missing Bluetooth controller transport!" And doesn't get any further.

edit: I'll trying your step here to see if that fixes it: 2) If system won't boot without -v -f, then add /System/Library/Kernels/kernel to your o.c.b.p under kernel (but what does o.c.b.p. stand for?) - maybe Onboard Chameleon Boot Pack?

Well I experimented myself and seemed to have broken Chameleon boot loader. I'll fix it I'm sure but what I did is go to the boot option in the Chameleon wizard and check the box called Kernel and typed in the address that you gave: /system/library/kernels/kernel. And then saved it to the onboard install. I rebooted the computer and Chameleon install no longer has the recovery option. I click the Macintosh SSD and it immediately reboots the machine. Lol.

3. Thanks for your help this far

• Moderators

Congrats to get this far!

1) Did you install the audio kext to /system/library/extensions with kextwizard?

What Ethernet card is in your system?

2) org.chameleon.boot.plist = o.c.b.p. in /Extra, use chameleon wizard to add the string

3) you're welcome

Congrats to get this far!

1) Did you install the audio kext to /system/library/extensions with kextwizard?

What Ethernet card is in your system?

2) org.chameleon.boot.plist = o.c.b.p. in /Extra, use chameleon wizard to add the string

3) you're welcome

I'm in the process of trying to save my Chameleon setup but I may just start over.

Edit:  I started over and yes I put the AppleADH (or whatever it is called) in the correct folder (with all the other kexts) - still no audio (doesn't recognize device) - when I press the buttons on the side bevel of my laptop the speaker icon appears center screen but nothing changes.  Below the speaker icon on screen is a circle with a slash through it (do not enter sign)

Judging by Dell I guess my ethernet is a broadcom 57xx

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=D6HFJ&fileId=3156044563&osCode=WW1&productCode=latitude-e5420&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

It doesn't say in the bios, so I am not sure

If not that, then the Intel one?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=NNGMH&fileId=3287383073&osCode=WW1&productCode=latitude-e5420&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

• Moderators

Kexts that are in /Extra/Extensions/SLE has to be installed to /System/Library/Extensions with kext wizard. You can't just place it there.

Try to install BCM5722D.kext in /Extra/Extensions to /System/Library/Extensions too with kext wizard in case it doesn't read it in /Extra/Extensions.

Kexts that are in /Extra/Extensions/SLE has to be installed to /System/Library/Extensions with kext wizard. You can't just place it there.

Try to install BCM5722D.kext in /Extra/Extensions to /System/Library/Extensions too with kext wizard in case it doesn't read it in /Extra/Extensions.

I am sorry, I wasn't clear.  I did use the Wizard program.  I'll try that other kext right now.  After I add a kext (any kext) should I do all this again?

sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chown -R 0:0 /S*/L*/E* 

sudo touch /S*/L*/E*

sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

After I did the BCM kext through the wizard program this is what it looks like in my network options

post-14457-0-90401700-1419647132_thumb.jpeg

Here is a video of what I've done:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10100248122947086&l=8190806366614121453

• Moderators

go to about this computer, system report. click on Audio, is there anything showing there?

then click on Network, does ethernet show there?

in system preference, Network, click to add. Under Interface, does Ethernet show in drop down?

Also, click on Software, next to system version, can you confirm the version of OS X you installed? Mine is 10.10.1 (14B25)

You are suppose to run those commands after installing/uninstalling any kexts, but I have been able to just reboot without any issue so far. Rule of thumb, run them if you don't see the desirable outcome.

Try to boot with -f to see if sound and ethernet shows up.

go to about this computer, system report. click on Audio, is there anything showing there?

then click on Network, does ethernet show there?

in system preference, Network, click to add. Under Interface, does Ethernet show in drop down?

Also, click on Software, next to system version, can you confirm the version of OS X you installed? Mine is 10.10.1 (14B25)

You are suppose to run those commands after installing/uninstalling any kexts, but I have been able to just reboot without any issue so far. Rule of thumb, run them if you don't see the desirable output.

Try to boot with -f to see if sound and ethernet shows up.

Thanks again for you help.

Here is a video showing the results.

-f didn't help

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10100248154473906&l=5427405937056640365

In short:  FW seems to be the only network option (though I'm not sure it was that way last install - seems as I remember another option prior to me using the kext wizard to move the  BCM kext)...

10.10.1 is the distro 14B25

I'm not sure about the sound thing.  it looks as though it detects hardware?

• Moderators

Check your BIOS to make sure if ethernet has been disabled. Dell only comes with either Intel or Broadcom ethernet that I know about and both kexts are in the bootpack (Extra).

As for audio, launch Chameleon Wizard, select org.chameleon.boot tab. Put a check next to HDA Enabler. Save and reboot.

By the way, did you reset the BIOS to the default, hit apply and then only set SATA Operations to AHCI?

Check your BIOS to make sure if ethernet has been disabled. Dell only comes with either Intel or Broadcom ethernet that I know about and both kexts are in the bootpack (Extra).

As for audio, launch Chameleon Wizard, select org.chameleon.boot tab. Put a check next to HDA Enabler. Save and reboot.

By the way, did you reset the BIOS to the default, hit apply and then only set SATA Operations to AHCI?

Thanks for continued support.

1.  Video for bios here  (I did reset it to default and applied before starting on this journey - the only think I changed after reset to default is the backlight of the keyboard)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10100248169104586&l=7679463953828463603

2.  Changed option in the wizard, saved, rebooted - nothing changed.  

Sucks to get so close! :)  I'm going to bed for the evening.  I'll check tomorrow to see if you have left me any other ideas.  Worst case I'll start from square 1 again and see if the same story unfolds.