El Capitan on 9020 uSFF & boot speed of Yosemite

Snookiwooki

Morning all,

Has anyone managed to install or know what is needed to install El Capitan on a Dell 9020 uSFF, followed Jakes great install guide for Yosemite? I am guessing a straight upgrade isn't going to cut it...

As a side question, have a mac mini server with the i7 2.0Ghz + SSD, and the with Dell 9020 with i7 4770s + SSD - what I find odd is that the original and older mac boots somewhat quicker than the faster Dell? (this is from when OSX starts to load).

Cheers

-Steve

• Moderators

It's as simple as just install Clover loader on top of your current install, copy a pre configured Clover to the mounted EFI partition. Only issue I have right now is getting the USB 3.0 port to work. Once I have that figured out, I'll write up a bootpack.

If you want to try my current bootpack, let me know, but you need to disable USB 3.0 in the BIOS.

Jake,

Many thanks for the bootpack.

Following your guide, seems an 8Gb USB is no longer large enough for El Capitan - used a brand new 8Gb SD card and ran out of space copying the last two files. 

Swapped to a 16Gb and not sure if this is purely to do with my mac mini already being on El Capitan but when running the Clover installer - the usb flashes as if data is being written but there is no EFI partition created - and hence no window is opened showing it once completed.

In terminal - diskutil list - shows a single Apple HFS partition of 16Gb on the usb - Any suggestions please?

Would have tried with Yosemite on the 9020, have 2 SSD's installed one with Windows 10 which has without request trashed something on OSX SSD (boot partition I guess) and will no longer boot passed initial boot screen / first apple logo - returns straight back.

Cheers

-Steve

@R-N-D Manager - thank you will have a look. once I get Clover installed and EL Capitan working hoping I won't be booting Windows that often :-)

Jake,

Again thank you = got further...

Started from stratch and formated/erased USB using diskutil - now have Clover installed and EFI partition on USB; and EL Capitan copied over.

BIOS configured to AHCI, UEFI boot etc.... Boots to clover, when selecting Install El Capitan from Clover, get an Apple logo for a couple of seconds then machine reboots and back to Clover main screen.

I started again building the USB boot, restoring the base image, copying files and installing Clover/EFI Bootpack though same boot cycle as above.

Anything I can check ?

Cheers

-Steve