D630 + Nvidia = Nightmare on 10.7+

carbon16

First and foremost, I really like to thank the people that run this website. I do not take anything here for granted. I know it takes a lot of hard work to put these kind of kext packs together and I appreciate and understand that.

I have a D630 with Nvidia graphics. Am running A17 bios. Newest Chameleon and have tried EDP on 10.7 and 10.7.2.

I have tried EDP 1.9.2 then 2.1 then 2.2. They all DO NOT work.

On EDP version 2.2,

3 out of every 6 boots, it gets stuck on [PCI Configuration Begin].

1 out of every 6 boots, it boots, but the screen turns black (someone on this website has also indicated that in another post). The computer has booted, but the video card or laptop screen is dark. Volume up and down make noise which indicates its a video issue.

1 out of every 6 boots, it Kernel Panics

Finally, the last 1 out of 6 times, it actually gets into Lion. When its in Lion, most things work fine.

I have tried this pack with 10.7 and 10.7.2. I know how to install things as I am a computer engineer, and I have followed everything on this website to the last detail.

I have tried for over a week straight to install Lion and have it run right, but it does not work! I'm guessing the d630 + intel works great since more people own them, but d630 + nvidia is getting no love.

There has to be an error in the dsdt (as someone else pointed out in another post) or some error in the boot.plist or whatnot.

Either way, can someone please help?

Thanks in advance!

I noticed that when moving a hard drive from D620 with Intel Graphics into a D620 with Nvidia, it worked nicely even at 1140x900 res. So you may want to try this; run the edptool from /Extra and choose Intel Graphic model.

You are correct about the people running this site , and making these packages. It does simplify this process. Without it, will take for ever to bring up one of these laptops. I am trying to bring up a MSI netbook with no luck so far.

I noticed that when moving a hard drive from D620 with Intel Graphics into a D620 with Nvidia, it worked nicely even at 1140x900 res. So you may want to try this; run the edptool from /Extra and choose Intel Graphic model.

I tried your method and it fixes the BLANK screen problem when loading the OS. Basically what I did was select the D630 + Intel and then went to boot.list and added GraphicsEnabler=YES and my Nvidia works pretty well. As a result, I believe there is something wrong in the D630/Nvidia DSDT.aml that is causing the display not to turn on every now and then when booting as volume up/down make sounds which indicates the system is up and running, just no display.

I however still get stuck at [PCI Configuration Begin]. Every now and then, I get passed it and boot into the OS, which works fine.

Why do I keep getting stuck at PCI Config Begin. I tried the ncpi=0x2000 and the PCIroot=1, etc... I've tried it all. Nothing works!

Why is my config cursed?!! Thanks in advance.

I tried your method and it fixes the BLANK screen problem when loading the OS. Basically what I did was select the D630 + Intel and then went to boot.list and added GraphicsEnabler=YES and my Nvidia works pretty well. As a result, I believe there is something wrong in the D630/Nvidia DSDT.aml that is causing the display not to turn on every now and then when booting as volume up/down make sounds which indicates the system is up and running, just no display.

I however still get stuck at [PCI Configuration Begin]. Every now and then, I get passed it and boot into the OS, which works fine.

Why do I keep getting stuck at PCI Config Begin. I tried the ncpi=0x2000 and the PCIroot=1, etc... I've tried it all. Nothing works!

Why is my config cursed?!! Thanks in advance.

Even in my D620 Lion, I get a KP out of 7-8 boots, and when I boot with -v, it will not KP. So far now, I am not messing with it. Looks to me that OSX is not as resilient as at least Win7, but I never owned real MAC.

I can not help you much, my knowledge is pretty limited. Maybe one of the core crew will help you, or someone with the same model can post their org.....Boot.plist .

• Administrators

re download edp2.2 from wiki and rebuild for your machine save the changes you made as you might need to put it back after a build. 2.2 had a bug which is now resolved. it might not solve your issues but at least it wont introduce new ones.

What worked for me on my new d630 with 2.5ghz cpu with nvidia graphics was the "my hack" to make my usb lion install media,install lion,boot into lion using the usb stick .Then run my hack with the bootpack for lion, boot into lion then run edp 2.2.

Hey Carbon

I am using a Dell D630 with Nvidia my BIOS is A17. I think some of the drivers are in the wrong place and perhaps the boot files are not 100%. I went through this 'pain barrier' to build a my Dell D630.

Let me know if you want copies - OSXLATITUDE will not permit me to upload the files which is quite helpful.

macintology