Latitude 3550 for OS X ?

Artisto

I have a question to ask about certain model laptops.  I don't know where to post, I've spent some time looking at where best to post this question so please excuse me if this isn't the appropriate place to post, I just can't find where else and the "submit feedback about site specifically asks not to post/ask technical questions there......

I 've researched a list of best laptops for screen quality.  after narrowing it down, it appears that the Dell latitiude 3550 is the better one.  I like Mountain Lion because it runs Adobe CS6 well.  The later OSX versions apparently seem to have some hiccups as far as I have read.  If I'm wrong please let me know.   Has anyone experienced trying to install Mountain Lion on this model laptop?   If so, where can I find all the related info.  How difficult will it be with this particular laptop?   It supposedly has the best screen brightness and battery life.

• Administrators

ML is totally obsolete these days (Apple dropped support for it) and does not support Broadwell platforms afaik. As such, you would not be able to natively run ML on a Latitude E3550.

Opt for a much newer and free version like Yosemite or El Capitan; they run absolutely fine, especially on recent hardware like Broadwell or (gradually) Skylake platforms. If I remember well, Broadwell support was introduced in Yosemite 10.10.2 or 10.10.3. Haswell CPUs were supported in ML, but only in ultimate version 10.8.5.

• Moderators

That depends, does it have a Haswell or Broadwell CPU. For Broadwell, you have to go with at minimum 10.11.0. You could try 10.10.3 as Hervé pointed out as the 1st to support Broadwell, but it'll have hang issue.

For Haswell, the lowest it'll go is ML 10.8.5. That's the 1st version to support Haswell.