E6540: Can discrete graphics card be disabled?

z1326

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, I can't. I only use Enoch, never Clover... You can consult my Enoch-based E6440 guide or JakeLo's general Latitude/Inspiron Clover guide.

I read your post of e6440 and according to the picture you uploaded you disabled the discrete graphics in OS X 10.10,however there's no graphics related SSDTs in your boot pack,how did you do that?Did you disable 8690m though DSDT?

Also I found that before auto shutdown I always get the following information in console.

Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable

Could you think of something?

I know this laptop (E6540) have 2 versions. The early version used LVDS screens. However the haswell don't support LVDS so Dell used a eDP to LVDS chip to transfer the eDP signal to LVDS.

And the late version used eDP screens. So they don't need the transfer chip anymore. The screen just get signal from haswell cpu.

My laptop is the early version and it has the eDP to LVDS transfer chip. Is it possible that this is the reason?

And I'm eager to find out how to make it not register in SysProfiler.

Try the config in the E6540 bootpack

Ok, I'll try it as soon as I get home.

BTW,Do you have E6540?And if yes,does it contains AMD 8790M?

And I'm curious that how did you make the discrete graphics "invincible".(If I used your DSDT,the discrete graphics is still there even I add the disable code to SSDT-8.)

My last shot at it. Place attached patched tables in your ACPI/patched folder (keep a backup of your existing files of course).

attachicon.gifPatched_tables.zip

I've tried this and the discrete graphics remained in the SysProfiler. I checked SSDT-8 and I didn't find the _OFF code. What did you do to disable the discrete graphics?

And when I try to disable it by adding _OFF into SSDT-8 _INI. The whole process is:

SSDT-8 _INI----_OFF code----SSDT-9 _OFF---SSDT-8 SGOF

So it is the SGOF code that actually disables the 8790M. However once the SGOF code is applied the auto shutdown problem will come.

I think the auto shutdown problem is something about power management and the SGOF code might call to some code related to EC. But I'm not a professional programmer and I can't dig up about this. Could you check the code and try?

I've tried these days and I assume that since the fan speed will get high before auto shutdown the reason could be related to power management or CPU. So I checked the console and found that these codes would show up before auto shutdown.

Process launched [1] disabling system-wide I/O Throttling
Process launched [1] disabling system-wide CPU Throttling

So do you know what is the mistake?