E5470: performance tuning

mdub

E5470 with i7-6820HQ and HD530 graphics running El Capitan.

If I wanted to use the latest Macbook Pro 13,3 SMBIOS (which has same processor as my E5470) would i have to upgrade to Sierra? I tried changing SMBIOS in clover configurator then rebooted but got a 'OS not supported' error.

and I'd like to have the option to run the CPU at 100% (2.7ghz native speed) with no throttling or power management, is this possible?

thanks

• Administrators

[...]

and I'd like to have the option to run the CPU at 100% (2.7ghz native speed) with no throttling or power management, is this possible?

Strange request...

Without proper CPU power management in place, you CPU should operate at LFM (800MHz or 1.2GHz, I don't know) and HFM (2.7GHz), i.e. switch between them two with no intermediate speeds and no Turbo boost. You'd experience reduced performance because of this, a much slower system and probably reduced battery usage; it's not the recommended way to run your Hackintosh.

But if that's what you want, simply remove your generated SSDT from your EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder.

What I think I want is running at 2.7ghz constantly. I produce music with Ableton live and performance in large sessions with lots of vst plugins suffers due to the latency introduced with intel speedstep. I basically just want high performance mode all the time, I don't care about battery life, fan noise or heat (as long as I don't melt my CPU lol). I plan to switch between this mode and regular CPU power management when producing and doing basic stuff (surfing web etc).Would nullcpupowermanagement.kext accomplish this?

Also I managed to install sierra with this laptop and have everything working except audio, external video and CPU power management. When I generate a SSDT with SSDTprgen I get a kernel panic when using MacBook Pro 13,2 smbios. Using a generated SSDT with iMac 17,1 works fine though. Any ideas what could cause this? See screenshot, thanks

post-101663-0-12967700-1484298778_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

You cannot be in high performance mode without speedstep, on the contrary. I believe you'll find your system to be laggy without it. Best way for you to get a feel is try and experiment it by yourself I guess.

Yeah I gave up on SSDTprgen and used HWPEnabler. Let's me use MacBook Pro 13,2 SMBIOS, Does what I want it to do and is flexible. Geek bench performance for single core was good at 3501 but kinda low on multi core at 12051. Based on intel power gadget speeds are between 3-3.2ghz when using the correct speed limits for 6820hq CPU. Might have to tinker with it some more and hopefully performance improves with sierra updates. Battery life isn't great on lowest CPU profile with CPU running at .9ghz, only about 3 hours for a full charge. I was getting 4.5hrs prior to loading patched DSDT/SSDT. I'm wondering if GPU PM is enabled, Renaming GFX0 to IGPU for all SSDT/DSDT is all that's required for GPU power management to work on an intel 530 right? AppleIntelInfo displays P states for the GPU but again geekbench scores were low for my model...

• Administrators

You said you didn't care about battery life...

In principle, if Apple followed their past trend, yes it's highly likely that they used IGPU naming convention on the MacBookPro13,1/13,2/13,3. The only way to verify is to obtain an extracted DSDT or IOReg off one of those Skylake MBP.

I would certainly run Sierra for such an SMBIOS, that's what those MBP models were released with so I'm not entirely surprised El Capitan would not boot such a profile.

If you look at the MacBookPro13,x range, you will see that:

• MBP13,1: low voltage Skylake i5/i7 CPU + Intel HD 540 graphics (0.30-1.00/1.05GHz)
  • MBP13,2: low voltage Skylake i5/i7 CPUs + Intel HD 550 graphics (0.30-1.05/1.10GHz)
  • MBP13,3: regular Skylake i7 CPUs + Intel HD 530 graphics only (0.35-1.05GHz) or dual Intel HD 530/AMD Radeon Pro 450/455

Re: CPU power management, did you use Pike's Master or Beta branch? You need to use the Beta version for Skylake CPUs. It does cater for i7-6820HQ and MBP13,x as shown in the Skylake.cfg and Models.cfg database files:

ssdtPRGen_SKL_MBP13,x.png

Ideally I'd like to switch off between a high performance mode when producing music in ableton live (where battery life isn't a concern) and a low performance mode with good battery life when doing everyday browsing/web stuff. I did use the beta branch of SSDTprgen and still got a KP when booting generated SSDT with MacBook Pro 13,3. Looks like HWPEnable is the only current working way to fine tune performance with this CPU and correct SMBIOS in Sierra-  https://github.com/goodwin/HWPEnable

any idea how I can get audio going in Sierra on this laptop? I've installed AppleHDA_ALC293.kext and EAPDFix.kext from 7x70 bootpack and latest version of CodecCommander from Rehabman. I also have the HDAS -> HDEF DSDT patch active in config.plist and 4 AppleHDA kextstopatch entries from this post- https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8289-trouble-installing-yosemite-on-dell-latitude-e5450/page-5&do=findComment&comment=52447

This was enough to get audio working in El Capitan but not in Sierra.

And no HDMI video output working. Any help is greatly appreciated as always, thanks

• Moderators

Disable Patch #4, not needed for Sierra.

HDMI video for HD530 will enable if you use MBP 11,2 (Haswell). I have not try MBP 13,3 yet.

There's no HDMI audio support for mobile HD530 (0x191b0000) but is for Desktop HD530 (0x19120000).

Update: HDMI audio working with latest FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext

HDMI video for HD530 working with MBP 13,2, not 13,3.

cool, audio working now.

I'll have to patch frame buffer myself, I really want to stick with MacBook 13,2 SMBIOS.

Is there a way to get DPI scaling options in system prefs -> displays? The text on my 1080p 14" screen is kinda small...