HP Z600 Workstation Sierra Sleep Issues

ssprod

Solved! I re-patched my native DSDT and applied appropriate patches, including USB3_PRW 0x06 and voila, sleep/wake functionality is working. In addition, my digital audio interface (RME Fireface UC) will cause "instant wake from sleep", so that's something I'll have to deal with, or not.  I'd like to thank Herve, Jake, and Bronx. Your expertise and depth of knowledge have been paramount in allowing me to achieve stable performance from my HP Z600. This has been my Windows Digital Audio Workstation for the last 4 years, and I'm satisfied that it will now be my Logic Pro X machine. As old as this baby is, it's rock solid and allows me to run LPX w/ numerous plug-ins inserted with lower latency that my previous OS and associated DAW. Thanks again gentlemen! 

HPZ600(2xXeonE5620)EFI.zip

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thankfully, my RME Fireface UC still (to this day) employs USB2.0, and is solid, stable and maintains very low latency, even under load. German engineering! Herve, thanks for the USB Wake tip, I have had it disabled in the bios from the get-go. Oddly, I subbed it for a basic Tascam US122MkII interface and sleep worked fine.  Just happy I've got this machine running with LogicProX, so much leaner than the same system on Win7. Thanks again guys!

No Sleep with NullCPUPowerManagement... That's a very basic rule. Setup native CPU power management and you should find Sleep will work much better.

Xeon E5520 are Nehalem like 1st gen "i" Core CPUs, i.e. pre-Sandy Bridge generation. As such, activate native CPU SpeedStep with C States + P States generation. You should also remove AsusAICPUPM + kernelPm which are unnecessary for your platform. Bear in mind that 2009 MacPro4,1 were fitted with such E5520 CPUs and is closer to your Z600 than the 2010 MacPro5,1. But you may be forced to use that MP5,1 SMBIOS of course...

If you want to tune your FakeSMC:

• MacPro4,1 -> SMC keys=1.39f5, smc-compatible=smc-thurley
  • MacPro5,1 -> SMC keys=1.39f11, smc-compatible=smc-thurley

Hey, this is a correction to the above comment for anyone else who may be reading this thread.  So Mac Pro 4,1 is a newer version of Mac Pro 5,1 which is almost identical.  The list of selection for Xeon is the same with the added newer Westmore.  However, the main difference was the memory clock speed.  Mac Pro 4,1 was supporting only up to 1066 while Mac Pro 5,1 supported up to 1333.  So if you had the Mac Pro 4,1, you could have updated the firmware and make the machine a 5,1 and of course you would have to change and replace the RAM sticks installed to make this happen.  So back to the HP Z series Hackintosh setup, HP Z series had similar offering of Xeon CPU that matched both Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1; however, the memory speed supported was the latter so you would need to use Mac Pro 5,1 for SMB and not 4,1.

• Administrators

:rolleyes: Erm... obviously, the MacPro5,1 was the newer machine, not the MacPro4,1.

The above statement was made with regards to CPU power management, as clearly stated. In that respect, MacPro4,1 is closer to the Z600 than the MacPro5,1. Given the known issues linked to MacPro4,1 SMBIOS, MacPro5,1's might be better suite and that's what was hinted...

SMBIOS profiles are usually chosen on such criteria as CPU models or graphics cards/GPUs, hardly on memory speed. :P