Mobile Precision 7710 - worth it

afk

I have a 7710 running Ubuntu that I'd much prefer runs OS X.  However, I don't even want to start this project if there is decent likelihood that I'll be wrestling with the system forever.  I just need it to be stable (for software development) and able to take advantage of the RAM and processing power.  And it'll need to drive my Dell 4K monitor via mini DP.  

Here are the specs as I pulled them from my dell receipt:

Mobile Precision7710 
Intel® Xeon® E3-1505M v5 (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.70GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics P530)
Intel Xeon E3-1505M with Smart Card and Thunderbolt 3
AMD FirePro W5170M w/2GB GDDR5
17.3" UltraSharpâ„¢ UHD IGZO (3840x2160) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit, with camera and microphone
64GB Memory
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe High Performance Solid State Drive
1TB 2.5 inch 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8260 Wi-Fi 4.1 Wireless Card (2x2) W/Bluetooth

Thanks for any and all advice,
A

• Administrators

"Wrestling with the system"... very likely to begin with, it's a Skylake platform afterall.

"forever"... who knows?

Check whether your AMD FirePro card is supported or not. Integrated Intel HD P530 may be supported by faking regular Intel HD 530.

NVMe SSD may require driver and/or patch.

Your Intel wireless is not supported and would require to be replaced by an OS X compatible card/dongle.

There are already several threads related to the Precision 7x10 range; I suggest you read them up.

OP,

I know this is an older thread, but if you are still on the fence, I have a 7710 and have 10.13 up and running with everything working other than audio, battery indicator and wifi (my card is unsupported, but I have ordered a new one). I'm confident I can get the other issues sorted out eventually. I'm happy to walk you through what I did. it's pretty easy now that I know what I'm doing to get to where I am.