[SOLVED] Dual boot osx/win in separate drives

ggrpitt

I have this problem: I installed OS X and Windows in separate drives using Clover and set my boot order in BIOS to boot from the Clover/Mac OS X drive. However, whenever I boot the Windows install, somehow the BIOS is rewritten, and the windows boot manager shows up at the top of my boot sequence. I have to boot to BIOS, remove the windows boot manager from the boot sequence and reboot again to go back to Clover. Any ideas on how to fix this?

• Administrators

usually boot next will boot the last os it had ran so sounds normal.

but since it is on 2 drives it could be that your bios chooses one drive over the other.

your clover should be located at sata disk 0 drive and windows on disk 1 so if windows is disk 0 swap it's location with the other drive.

Boot next is disabled. The bios changes somehow. I SPECIFICALLY remove the Windows boot loader as a boot entry in bios. After I boot Windows after clover, the bios registers have changed, the Windows boot loader is back and has been moved to the top of the list. This does not happen in any of my other hacks, so I believe this has something to do with the bios management of the optiplex. Which is the reason why this was initially posted in the Dell forum.

I forgot to mention that OSX is in SATA 1 and Windows is in SATA 2. I will try moving them around and see what happens.

• Administrators

ok so what drive location is windows located in.

you can also try clover shell if it works

EFI Shell command is 

bcfg boot add 3 fs0:\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi “Clover”

if clover is on device fs0.  You must then type 

bcfg boot mv 3 0

This second bcfg command moves your new entry to the top of the boot list

• Moderators

do the following things:

• Use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition
  • Rename bootmgfw.efi in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  • Copy Cloverx64.efi in /EFI/Clover to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot and rename it bootmgfw.efi

do the following things:

• Use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition
  • Rename bootmgfw.efi in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  • Copy Cloverx64.efi in /EFI/Clover to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot and rename it bootmgfw.efi

That sends me to a loop. Instead of booting to windows that configuration reboots clover.