E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Which wireless card do you have installed? If you have the same one that came with the laptop (which I believe was Intel based), it won't work.

You'll need the Broadcom BCM4322 instead, which you can find for pretty cheap on eBay & Amazon. Alternatively, you can use an external micro wireless USB adapter, like the Netgear G54/N150.

Which wireless card do you have installed? If you have the same one that came with the laptop (which I believe was Intel based), it won't work.

You'll need the Broadcom BCM4322 instead, which you can find for pretty cheap on eBay & Amazon. Alternatively, you can use an external micro wireless USB adapter, like the Netgear G54/N150.

Excellent.  So far so good.  Thank you for this awesome guide!

I just ordered the BCM4322.  Hopefully that should work.

One more question is changing the resolution.  I'm hooked up to an external monitor and was wondering if there is a way to do this?

Excellent.  So far so good.  Thank you for this awesome guide!

I just ordered the BCM4322.  Hopefully that should work.

One more question is changing the resolution.  I'm hooked up to an external monitor and was wondering if there is a way to do this?

If you go to System Preferences (in the dock) and then go over to Displays, on the secondary monitor, you can select the resolution that best fits the display or manually select one based on your personal preference.

If you go to System Preferences (in the dock) and then go over to Displays, on the secondary monitor, you can select the resolution that best fits the display or manually select one based on your personal preference.

There was only one option (1400 X 900 or something like that -- I don't have the laptop booted up right now to check).  I would like a higher resolution.  Is there a kext I need or a setting I use?  I tried installing Chameleon 2.1 and selected the two options for adjusting the resolution, but that didn't seem to change anything.  I also tried changing the Boot.plist file and rebooting, but that didn't take either.  Anything else I can try?

Chameleon/the boot.plist edit won't change the resolution on the secondary monitor (as far as I know). It only affects the resolution of the built-in monitor.

As far as your secondary monitor goes, I would hit up google and find the maximum supported resolution that it will handle. You may be surprised and 1400x900 may be the highest! It's happened to me before...

If the resolution that's supported is in fact higher, post back here and we'll try and help you out.

Got this up and running! Fantastic guide, thanks for posting/maintaining it!

This is by far the most functional hackintosh laptop I've ever used, and fast too! It's unfortunate that sleep and multitouch don't work though, those are beginning to look like really important features.

Has anyone made any progress on either of those? It's really super annoying that if it tries to go into sleep mode it freezes and needs a forced reboot, losing all your work. I'm also starting to notice that osx apps really count on you having the ability to scroll with the touchpad, and some don't even provide scrollbars. Then to top it off, some apps don't scroll well with the arrow keys.

I tried this kext for the touchpad: http://www.osx86.net/view/1531-alps_trackpad_for_lion.html

But it seems that nothing's changed except that the trackpad system prefs button no longer works.

I ran into an interesting problem when upgrading to 10.8.4...

I'm using an actual apple Airport Extreme card, based on an Atheros A5B8??? something something card. I needed to use AtherosFix.kext to make it work in 10.8, but once I upgraded to 10.8.4, then applied your new 10.8.4kexts.zip, my wifi no longer connects. It says "connection timed out" instantly when I try and connect.

I tried a bunch of things to try and fix this, but never figured out how. I tried creating a new profile, removing bluetooth networking etc, reapplying old kexts, etc, but I couldn't get it working. I ended up simply reinstalling 10.8.0 and leaving it at that.

Any idea what might cause that? I don't suppose I really need to upgrade to 10.8.4, and can keep using this version indefinitely?

I ran into an interesting problem when upgrading to 10.8.4...

I'm using an actual apple Airport Extreme card, based on an Atheros A5B8??? something something card. I needed to use AtherosFix.kext to make it work in 10.8, but once I upgraded to 10.8.4, then applied your new 10.8.4kexts.zip, my wifi no longer connects. It says "connection timed out" instantly when I try and connect.

I tried a bunch of things to try and fix this, but never figured out how. I tried creating a new profile, removing bluetooth networking etc, reapplying old kexts, etc, but I couldn't get it working. I ended up simply reinstalling 10.8.0 and leaving it at that.

Any idea what might cause that? I don't suppose I really need to upgrade to 10.8.4, and can keep using this version indefinitely?

I had the same exact issue, but thought it might only relate to my configuration. I'm glad you posted your issue here!

Anyway, the solution is quite simple (at least it was for me!):

All you need to do is replace the "airportd" file in "/usr/libexec" with the one from 10.8.3. I've attached my airportd from a 10.8.3 backup below.

airportd.zip

EDIT: Don't forget to reboot after you replace!

• Like 1

I think I've failed at replacing that file. No matter what I tried, the file stayed at 0 bytes. I think I'm missing some vital step of some sort. Even booting off USB it failed to copy.

It went something like:

#ls -l /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/username/Downloads/airportd

blah blah airportd 8500 bytes or whatever

#ls -l /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/usr/libexec/airportd

blah blah airportd 0 bytes

#cp /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/username/Downloads/airportd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/usr/libexec

#ls -l /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/usr/libexec/airportd

blah blah airportd 0 bytes

Also: PS: Any time I've reinstalled and chose to format the drive, it hasn't written the boot sector, so I end up booting up to the "boot0: error" error, which I need to dd the boot1h file to the drive to fix.

• Administrators

Sounds excellent Patel, thanks for sharing this. I'll test your solution with my DW1395 (affected by the 10.8.4 issue) and I would then suggest we add this to the list of EDP fixes.