Optiplex 9020: cannot reach the installer screen

Hi Jake, I followed your guide to a tee on a Dell Optiplex 9020 but I cannot reach the mac installer before the computer reboots.

Tried various bootflags but getting the same result. Configuration is

i7-4790 3.6GHz, BIOS A21, 16GB ram, Intel HD Graphics (on board), 1TB HD, attempting to install Mavericks 10.9. 

I must be missing something  - anything idea? 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jake, sorry I should have been clearer.  I am trying to install El Capitan using these instructions

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6006-optiplex-9020-mavericks-el-capitan-sierra-wip/?hl=%2Boptiplex+%2B9020

which I think your latest advice.

I was confused about correct contents of the EFI folder. Step 29 of your clover instructions says to "Download the Bootpack for your model in post #2, replace the contents to the root of the EFI partition, replacing the existing folders ( Boot and Clover folders - not merge)".  But the bootpack posted to your guide from January 10 (Optiplex9020_A20.zip in #3, link above) contains only a ACPI folder and kexts folder. Where to they go? and where does the file AppleHDA_ALC280.kext file go?

Thanks.

p.s. AMD Radeon R7 250 card is pulled out for now. Using onboard graphics with monitor plugged into lower DP.

I suck. Just doesn't work. Computer reboots almost immediately (nothing to report from verbose mode). Spent weeks on this and never once saw the mac disk utility.

Maybe this system just isn't compatible? It's a 2013ish Dell 9020 Optiplex i7-4790 3.6GHz, BIOS A21, 16GB ram, using onboard graphics. 

• Administrators

you probably need to make sure every kext your using is latest version of it because 10.13.2 will cause boot issues with some older kexts. you also need latest clover and you also need to use fixheader acpi patch. also you need to read up on your graphics and determine if it needs a patch or injection or it works native or not at all. im sure there is plenty more i might be missing.

Thanks Bronxteck, that was the missing piece. Finally up and running with high sierra on a Dell Optiplex 9020. There are a few things left to work on - audio, bluetooth, graphics card - but happy to finally pass this hurdle.

Integrated graphics is working fine with 2 monitors. I gave up on my AMD Radeon R7 card. From what I read so far, it isn't support/supportable, and not a gamer.

All USB ports now work.  I can now use apple trackpad over bluetooth. Another win.

The only remaining piece of the puzzle is audio.  Did you install special drivers for your Optiplex 9020? I tried a few audio drivers, but still have no sound from either the back or front headphone jacks. I could opt for a USB soundcard, but in my experience those are buzzy and unreliable. Any suggestions here?

thanks much.