Semaj

[SUCCESS] E6330 running Mojave 10.14.2, includes EFI and 10 step mini guide

Successfully running 10.14.2 for a few weeks on my little e6330 now and it's perfectly stable. Using it every day. This setup is perfectly suitable for daily usage. I'm happy with it and excited, want to share my success and process with you all.

First off, a very big thank you to Jake Lo for creating the initial bootpack for the e6330 that did pretty much everything already. I merely tested and tweaked it over the past few weeks.

My process is fairly simple, tested the steps out a few times on two different e6330's, seems to work fine every time. BIOS settings are the usual for E series found in this forum. I've disabled legacy booting and legacy loading of roms for a "pure" UEFI boot config. This is not needed, I just prefer it.

1: Create a new installer using the createinstallmedia script inside the macOS Installer app and install Clover to it, deselect everything except for the first two options (UEFI boot only and ESP install). Don't unmount the EFI folder after the Clover installation is complete. Make sure you select the right destination. I've installed Clover on my Mac by accident too many times, lol.

2: Delete the EFI folder on the EFI partition mounted by the Clover installer, empty the trash and copy over the EFI folder from the attached zip file.

3: Copy the attached zip file to the installer itself too, you need it after macOS is installed.

4: Boot from the installer and do a clean install. When the system reboots make sure you boot from the installer and select the macOS disk to boot from. On my machines this usually went fine without me paying any attention to it. If you happen to get some error simply reboot and select the internal disk from the Clover menu. It should resume installing.

5: Once installation is complete you should be able to boot into the freshly installed macOS from the Clover menu using the installer for a final time.

6: Go trough the first time setup screens and once on the desktop copy over the attached zip from the installer and unpack it on the desktop.

7: Install Clover like above, make sure you select the internal disk as destination. Leave the EFI partition mounted and delete the EFI folder and copy over the EFI folder from the attached zip file to the mounted EFI partition like above. Don't make a mess and empty the trash.

8: In case you have the Dell bluetooth module, copy the files from the LE folder to /Library/Extensions and rebuild permissions with Kext Utility (included in zip file). If your wifi is not working and you've got a Broadcom chipset, copy the kexts inside the Broadcom-fix folder to the Clover kext folder on the EFI partition that is still mounted.

9: Generate your own SSDT. Download and run this script to generate one and replace the one currently in the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder on the EFI partition. For the lazy run the command below to generate the SSDT;

curl -o ./ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/Beta/ssdtPRGen.sh && chmod +x ./ssdtPRGen.sh && ./ssdtPRGen.sh

10: With your own SSDT in place, the kexts in place and Clover installed to the internal disk it's time to reboot once more. Eject the installer and remove it then reboot the machine and hope for the best!

If all went well you now have a pretty much fully working macOS. There are few more things to tidy up and do, let's finish up!

Make sure we're not going to hibernate. Open up the terminal app and run the following commands:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

Check if TRIM is enabled if you're using an ssd, run "sudo trimforce" if it's disabled. Check for TRIM support under SATA in the System Information app. 

Thats pretty much it. The rest are optional steps, but felt like sharing them too.

Unenroll from the beta program. Somehow I was in there a few times, open system preference -> software update and click on details on the left side underneath the icon. You can reset the defaults there. Alternatively you can run "sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog" in a terminal. 

Disable spotlight indexing, seems to improve performance and I personally don't use it:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Disable gatekeeper (I find the thing annoying):

sudo spctl --master-disable

Disable sudden motion sensor (use only if you have an ssd):

sudo pmset -a sms 0

- Add a decent content blocker to Safari:
Open this url; https://safari-extensions.apple.com/?q=ublock

(Don't forget to configure regional lists in uBlock settings.)

- Change keybindings in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Modifier keys. Out of the box its ALT = Apple key, Windows key = macOS alt key. Personally I install Karabiner-elements for this, mainly because of the additional options and also because installing it makes F4 and the likes work for launchpad and brightness, just like on Apple keyboards.

- You can use Clover Configurator and generate some new IDs and serial numbers in the SMBIOS and System Parameters sections in config.plist inside the Clover folder of the EFI partition. I'm using the RehabMan port of Clover but feel free to install the latest Clover if you wish, they work fine but I prefer to stick with the port.

Other stuff you might want to install:

- HWSensors: https://bitbucket.org/kozlek/hwsensors/downloads/
- lspci: https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/9488-lspci-package/
- homebrew: for lsusb and other a lot of other stuff I use personally: https://brew.sh
- iasl https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/acpica/downloads/
- MaciASL https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/
- OnyX https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/release_onyx.html

No kexts are needed in /S/L/E. That should make minor macOS (10.14.x) updates install fine and not break much, if anything at all. Oh, if you have a cpu with a turboboost mode you might want to compile and place this kext in /Library/Extensions and rebuild permissions again to prevent turboboost being used whilst on battery.

If you get "the internet appears offline" anywhere during installation and find yourself back at the beginning of the installer just disable wifi and try again. This happened to me only once.

So what works?

Sleep, sound (internal speakers, headphone out and build-in mic), wireless, hdmi output including clamshell mode, lan, sd card, e-sata, graphical h/w acceleration, bluetooth, dvd, battery, sensors, etc, etc. WWAN is untested but there are some kexts for it from what I gathered on this forum. PC Express is also untested. I have no cards for it.

What doesn't work?

Nothing big really, minor glitches here and there. Nothing more than I have on my MacBooks. Some of them might as well be macOS related bugs. When shutting down there's some graphical glitches happening. Most other stuff has to do with input:

- Capslock light doesn't tuns off (double tap also doesn't turn the light off), caps lock itself does turn off. When using an Apple bluetooth keyboard I have the reverse. Capslock never lights up but works fine. Fixed now. It was a bug in Karabiner.

- There is a short delay before touchpad works after using keyboard, hard to explain but easy to replicate; hold down a key and move the cursor with touchpad or move the cursor with touchpad and press a key to make the moving stop. This could have something to do with the ALPS kext. Not an issue for me.

- Moving icons sometimes produces a weird effect where the icon travels its own trajectory instead of where I'm dragging it. Hard to explain again. Happens very rarely too. Can't seem to reproduce it.

- Waking up from sleep can only be done by opening the lid or pressing power button. Bluetooth and usb devices can't wake it up, no problem unless you want to wake the machine while its sleeping in clamshell mode.

Another very minor thing is that the Fn+arrow keys to control the brightness sometimes 'fight' with the macOS ones. To get around this use the brightness slider or install the Karabiner app mentioned earlier so you can use F1 and F2 to change the brightness. Maybe there's a way to make them stop 'fighting' but it doesn't bother me and I'm already used to using F1/F2 keys to control the brightness.

Personally nothing in there that stops me form enjoying this little laptop for what it is; a great little monster running macOS smoothly. 

Hope this little guide will help others getting Mojave to run smoothly on their e6330.

Resources/kexts/apps used:
This forum!
RehabMan: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/
Lilu: https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases
AppleALC: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases
WhateverGreen: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases
Alps: https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/8285-refined-alps-touchpad-driver/

Disclaimer: I have probably made silly mistakes or loaded kexts that aren't really needed. Please point them out to me if you wish, I like to stay minimalistic and only use what's needed. As it stands now this configuration is very workable for me. I'm using the Dell just like my MacBooks. Very happy with it!

e6330-osxlatitude.zip

Semaj,
Thank you for this guide. I've been having problems trying to install Mojave on a E6330 for some time now. I used the efi folder you posted and was able to install os onto the hdd.
On my previous attempts, I couldn't even get to the os install screen. For my own education, could you or anyone else tell me what I was doing wrong? I've attached a screenshot of boot verbose and the EFI folder with the output of F2/F4 in the clover folder. Any help would be appreciated.

MojaveInstall.jpg

EFI.zip

On 1/11/2019 at 9:17 AM, New2Max said:

Semaj,
Thank you for this guide. I've been having problems trying to install Mojave on a E6330 for some time now. I used the efi folder you posted and was able to install os onto the hdd.
On my previous attempts, I couldn't even get to the os install screen. For my own education, could you or anyone else tell me what I was doing wrong? I've attached a screenshot of boot verbose and the EFI folder with the output of F2/F4 in the clover folder. Any help would be appreciated.

MojaveInstall.jpg

EFI.zip

I'm happy to hear you got it working. As for what went wrong for you, I can't really tell from the screenshot. There's some errors about the GPU, was the pic taken at the point it didn't continue anymore? If so then it most likely due to the graphics not being configured properly in your Clover config. 

If you have Intel graphics your Clover config was not injecting anything Intel and was set to inject both ATI and Nvidia. I have it set to only inject Intel and also changed the platform id to 0x01660003. My guess is that if you had set the graphics properly you would've made it into the installer just fine. Though it might have needed some kexts still.

Yes, the the pick was taken at the point where it stopped. Thanks for the advice. I will check the config.plist file I was using. I remember reading elsewhere about the platform id setting and using the value you stated. I think I'll just compare my config to yours and see if there are any huge differences.

@New2Max, Your Clover setup was incorrect:

1. You were injected irrelevant kexts (SATA-unsupported, RealtekRTL8111)
  2. You were injected ATI + nVIDIA graphics and irrelevant ATI + nVidia properties
  3. You were applying irrelevant LAPIC + KernelPm patches
  4. Your MBP9,2 SMBIOS injection seems incorrect/incomplete (I guess it might have come from an older Clover version)
  5. You probably did not have suitable CPU power management in place

All in all, you probably obtained that Clover config from somewhere else than here...

With regards to Semaj's Clover setup, he's injecting some unnecessary kexts like:

• VoodooTSCSync
  • GenericUSBXHCI
  • AppleBacklightFixup

He's also using slightly outdated Lilu + WEG kexts that should be refreshed to latest versions. Then, his Clover config contains some irrelevant or inappropriate settings such as arch=x86_64, KernelPm patch or injection of Intel graphics + Capri layout-id (not necessary with Lilu + WEG), erroneous CPU PM settings, etc. It would benefit from being clean-up.

Eg: E6330_config.plist.zip

The Clover setup would also gain from being completed with kexts such as CodecCommander (for audio jack output) and FakePCIID/FakePCIID_XHCIMux to activate USB3/USB2 ports multiplexing.

Hello and thanks for the guide! It helped me with getting Mojave running on my E6330. I'm just having one issue and that is the Wi-Fi, the OS doesn't seem to be recognizing the Wi-Fi card, however it is recognizing bluetooth. This is really the only issue that I have, any ideas? If you need me to post any of my info just let me know.

Thanks!

What kind of Wi-Fi Card is inside your system? If it is an Intel Card... forget about it. There are no fully working Intel Wi-Fi drivers available for macOS.

Have a look at this forum post to determine which cards a compatible. :)

On 1/14/2019 at 7:50 AM, jason.bowman9215 said:

Hello and thanks for the guide! It helped me with getting Mojave running on my E6330. I'm just having one issue and that is the Wi-Fi, the OS doesn't seem to be recognizing the Wi-Fi card, however it is recognizing bluetooth. This is really the only issue that I have, any ideas? If you need me to post any of my info just let me know.

Thanks!

The stock Dell bluetooth module is supported and is separate form the wifi card. check which card you have now, you can pick up a 2.4/5ghz Broadcom 43xx card for little and that will work with kexts and if you feeling adventurous rebrand the card to stock Dell. It is not that hard, just don't make any mistakes without a backup of the original 'firmware' file.

Other than that it's a matter of booting into a live Linux, downloading some tools, loading the right modules (rmmod wl && mod probe b43) and extract the firmware from the card, then change the vendor/device id in the file and copy the file back to the card. Save the original firmware on external storage before rebooting so you can always restore it. This guide is great, the pictures are broken but it should be enough.

In my case after rebranding I also had to change the code (country) and regulatory so it would see my 5ghz channels, but that was also pretty easy. Let me know what you have in your laptop now and we'll see! I picked up quite a few 43xx Broadcom cards from eBay for very little. Once rebranded they will always work without any modifications. 

On 1/14/2019 at 4:08 AM, eC//FrEaK said:

What kind of Wi-Fi Card is inside your system? If it is an Intel Card... forget about it. There are no fully working Intel Wi-Fi drivers available for macOS.

Have a look at this forum post to determine which cards a compatible. :)

It definitely is an Intel card - Intel Ultimate N 633ANHMW is the model. I'll check out that forum post for the info on compatible cards.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Semaj said:

The stock Dell bluetooth module is supported and is separate form the wifi card. check which card you have now, you can pick up a 2.4/5ghz Broadcom 43xx card for little and that will work with kexts and if you feeling adventurous rebrand the card to stock Dell. It is not that hard, just don't make any mistakes without a backup of the original 'firmware' file.

Other than that it's a matter of booting into a live Linux, downloading some tools, loading the right modules (rmmod wl && mod probe b43) and extract the firmware from the card, then change the vendor/device id in the file and copy the file back to the card. Save the original firmware on external storage before rebooting so you can always restore it. This guide is great, the pictures are broken but it should be enough.

In my case after rebranding I also had to change the code (country) and regulatory so it would see my 5ghz channels, but that was also pretty easy. Let me know what you have in your laptop now and we'll see! I picked up quite a few 43xx Broadcom cards from eBay for very little. Once rebranded they will always work without any modifications. 

Looks like it is an Intel Ultimate N 633ANHMW which seems like it wouldn't be compatible. I'll check out the list of compatible cards and go from there. Thanks for the link to the guide, it has a lot of good information in it I will more thank likely use it to help rebrand like you did. Would you mind sharing which card you have?

Thanks!