Maxium RAM and recommened SSD hard drive for D630?

never1991

Definitely 8GB max RAM. I upgraded from 4G to 8G as soon as I realized I could. I sometimes have to test things in various operating systems, and need lots of RAM for virtual machines.

Oh yeah, that's definitely 64-bit only. I haven't run a 32-bit OS ever on my D630; I'm basically switching from Ubuntu to Mountain Lion this weekend.

Hi,

I've already installed Lion succesfully in my D630, but I have only 4GB RAM (2x2GB). What it the maximum RAM supported for the D630? 8GB (2x 4GB)? I have A17 BIOS version.

Also, I want to upgrade the hard drive and I'm thinking in a SSD hard drive. Did any particular model that works perfect in our D630? I do not need much capacity, but performance.

Thank you very much!

It is definetly 8GB for version A17 bios, and in my D630 I have a OCZ Vertex 2 in my primary sata bay, and I swapped out the DVD drive for a 250GB 5400RPM HDD which has my home folder on.

Hope this helps,

Seb

ve got 8g to be honest I believe anything past 4g is a waste ,simply because front bus speed ,and limited hyperthreading , I also havent notice any significant improvement worth the expense

If anything I recommend getting more quality ram , and as fae as a SSD goes , huge difference, in speed , I use a kingston 128g , Ive already ruined 2 harddrives with the laptop falling of the bed ,. with the kingston you could play hockey with it ,and boots every time , you wont regret the investment.

More RAM is always a good idea; more RAM means less need for and time spent on swapping to disk. And for systems with an SSD, less use of swap is a Very Good Thing. Excessive swapping can kill an SSD very quickly.

If memory serves, HyperThreading was never part of the Core2 CPU feature set (Core and Core2 are basically multi-core 64-bit extensions of the P3/P3-mobile architecture, while the Core i series adds HyperThreading from the P4); it was only available on the Xeon CPUs around that time.

• Administrators

another good thing is to set pmversion from 3 to 0 with an ssd so that it wont dump your ram to the ssd on every sleep and shutdown so if you have 4 gigs of ram or more lets say it writes it to disk unnecessarily. fine though for regular hdd. you can set it in terminal with sudo pmset hibernatemode=0

info from man pmset

hibernatemode = 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops. The

system will not back memory up to persistent storage. The system must

wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power

loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables. The

system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and

will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from memory, unless

a power loss forces it to restore from disk image.

thanx for the advice,

i bought 2x Kingston kth-zd8000b 2GB SODIMM PC2-5300 667MHz and a multibay PATA (IDE) HDDCaddy 12.7mm Universal(pata => sata) for 500gb hdd.

can i use SSD Sata2 of Sata3 in my primary bay.

greetings peter