[SUCCESS] 7280 HD520 Catalina Install

rgomez

Hello everyone,

Trying to install macOS Catalina 10.15.2 on Dell 7280 and always get stuck on a "++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++" verbose screen.

Right now this is out of the box Clover (most recent) EFI folder with only the options mentioned on the general guide for Catalina also added the ECDV to EC DSDT patch but made no difference.

Kexts are:

AppleALC

FakeSMC

Lilu

WhateverGreen

Anyhow I'm attaching the EFI folder.

Thanks,

EFI.zip

• Administrators

That's highly unlikely to make any difference, it's mainly a cosmetic patch...

Looking at your Clover config, it appears to be totally inappropriate for your Latitude 7280: nearly all ACPI patches selected, inappropriate CPU management settings, no SMBIOS, etc.

You need to use a Clover config that suits your target Skylake platform. We have several guides for similar models in our Guides section that provide full Clover packs. You'll also find copies of EFI folders posted by members in existing threads related to Latitude 7x80 models in this 7000 Series section. So please, make the effort to search the forum and read existing literature pertaining your Dell model.

I did search and all those EFI folders would end up on KP as well so I thought starting with clean EFI folder.

Anyhow, I've used @catmater v4 EFI folder and same KP, I realized the iGPU was different so -igfxvesa allowed me to boot, install and look around and see I had to adjust the config.plist for the HD 520 instead the HD 620.

Everything seems to be working fine now.

One question related to USB Ports, I see if a docking station is connected to USB-C port, the screens do behave like regular MAC but the USB and Ethernet ports seem dead. Ethernet seems obvious most likely because there is no driver but the USB ports, is it necessary to map the USB ports with dock attached? Or maybe there is some other way?

Dell WD 15.

Any guide you would recommend for that? Also any chance of getting the ethernet port active?

Another strange thing that I just found is that UltraWide screen connected directly to HDMI port is not showing correct resolution. It seems that HDMI 2.0 is “not enabled”. 

I will try the -cdfon arg when I have the screen again later today.

However the USB part is getting tricky. I've checked what are the ports on the laptop and found which ones should be kept enabled or not.

The question is I never see the USB-C ports, either hot plugged or plugged during boot.