Jump to content
MarOS

e7250 Catalina USB problems

Recommended Posts

Thanks to Herve's great installation guide, I've been able to get Catalina running on a Dell e7250, and almost everything seems to be working, however I've got a strange issue with USB which I can't resolve.

 

If I have a USB2 device connected to any of the 3 USB ports before I boot up, then it will show up and can be used.  However, if it's not present before I boot up, then when I insert it I get a warning "USB Accessory Needs Power Connect "USB 3.0" to a USB port on this Mac."

 

This is my first Hackintosh, so it's very possible that I have done something silly, but I have gone over all the steps several times, including totally uninstalling and re-installing Clover.  Hopefully you can point me in the right direction, I've attached debug files.

Note: the IOreg dump part of gen_debug failed because the volume was read-only, so I generated it manually and added to the ZIP - not sure if it's in the correct format though.

 

Thanks for all the work you have put into this wonderful forum!

debug_23997.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I found out that I had been silly twice.  First I had installed USBinjectall.kext to /S/E, so it was always active.  Second I had assumed that Herge's ZIP included the USB port mapping settings, so I hadn't run through the port mapping.  I've now done that, and can now connect both USB2 and USB3 devices to all 3 external ports.

What I don't really understand is that if I boot up now and run Hackintool to check the USB ports, some of the ones that are active don't show up in Hackintool.  Even if I plug things into them and they are working.  Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using the USBPort.kext or the SSDT-xx + USBInjectall?

Post the generated files files

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response, here are the files.  The part of gen_debug that exports IOreg is failing for me, it seems to be that when it's typing the path to save, something gets missed so it tries to save to a non-existent path (path is missing some characters).  So I've uploaded it seperately.

 

Thanks

debug_13982.zip IOreg.ioreg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did you launch Hackintool, select all items in the USB tab. Delete and then Refresh the button.

Does the selection change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes no difference.

Deleted the ports in Hackintool and refreshed.  I have 2 XHC ports showing in Hackintool, but I now think they are not working as USB3.  According to IORegistryExplorer, when I plug my USB3 external drive in, it is hanging off EHC01, and there's nothing connected to XHC ports.  I've uploaded a screenshot.

Any idea why they would not work as USB3?

Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 10.01.42.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it has anything to do with the kexts used for USB ports multiplexing. OP has added a couple of patches for USB to his Clover config (on top of the totally unnecessary AppleIntelCPUPM patch for Sandy/Ivy Bridge...).

 

I would recommend to:

  1. remove those USB patches
  2. return to USBInjectAll and cache all kexts from /L/E
  3. after cache has been rebuilt and system rebooted, run Hackintool to regenerate SSDT-UIAC table + USBPorts kext
  4. and stick to what our guides recommend of course...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am still struggling with this one, to be fair this is my first Hack and so a steep learning curve.  Do you have a guide you recommend for USB port mapping on Catalina? 

 

I started off following Herve's guide: 

After Herve's suggestions to my previous post I have:
Disabled the 2 USB patches in Clover

Put USBinjectAll in my Clover kexts/other folder

Rebuild kext cache with sudo kextcache -i /

Rebooted, used Hackintool to regenerate SSDT-UIAC table + USBPorts kext

Put SSDT-UIAC in Clover/ACPI/patched

Put USBports.kext in Clover/kexts/other

 

I still end up with only USB2 ports working.  What seems really strange is that some of my USB ports are named differently after applying the new SSDT-UIAC table + USBPorts kext from Hackintool.  
This is while doing mapping:

 image.thumb.png.caf2810558623bb8f4fb7d7d3ba6267d.png

 

and after completing the port names have changed, and there seem to be some duplicate port addresses.  If I connect USB3 devices, they show up on USB2 ports, not USB3 ports (even though the USB3 ports I discovered in my mapping are there):

image.thumb.png.63942615f0eb37123f702cf8ca25d5d3.png

 

 

I didn't think this was relevant but my 7250 is the 1080p touchscreen version, so different screen from Herve's but I believe all the other components are the same.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...