E5470 with i5 6440HQ + HD 530 + Full HD screen: seeking EFI for Catalina

PMD

• Moderators

@ktbos

You can download v5119 from here

The drivers are now in different containers, you'll just have to go through and look for them. Only driver missing this package is HFSPlus.efi which you can google for or use one you already have. Then add the bootpack (kexts, ACPI, and Config.plist).

As for the E5570, as Hervé said but you probably will need to change the USBPorts kext if you have it or SSDT-UIAC.aml if you have them in E5470. If you don't, then just use USBInjectAll with proper patches, then run Hackintool to generate your USBPorts.kext and then remove the patch and USBInjectAll.

• Like 1

For anyone looking for a Catalina bootpack as the title of this topic states, I've written a guide in the Guide section for the E5570 or E5470 and have a bootpack posted there that I'll try to update as I find reasons to update it.  For now, here's my revision 2 bootpack compiled from this post and many others here at OSXLatitude. 

LatE5470 Bootpack-2.zip

In the process of trying to figure out hibernation (that's another topic), I looked more into why my E5470 gets hung up booting up at a couple of points.  Especially now that I can see that the E5570 does not get hung up the same way.  (and that might help explain the hibernation difference)  It'd be great if I could find the log somewhere on the system but I searched for the stuff I saw on the screen in the dmesg and in doing the log show predicate thing and I couldn't find any of the text there.  So far starters, if somebody can point me to where I can find the full log of what rolls by during bootup with -v on, including the phrases I'm going to detail below, that'd be great. 

But for now, I can at least write about what was on the screen at the time the log got hung up.  The first spot is right after it showed "VM Swap Subsystem is ON".  It hung there for about 24 seconds. 

The second spot was after it printed "AirPort_BrcmNIC::getSSIDData(): Get failure: APPLE80211_IOC_SSID: 6".  It hung there for another 18 seconds. 

I don't know if the thing that it is stuck on at those points it what it printed for a message or what it was working on next that it hadn't yet printed.  But maybe what I've written above is enough to go on.  And the fact that the E5570 doesn't get hung up in either of these places and just races right through to login is very strange considering I'm using the same setups and versions of everything. 

Oh, and I updated both computers to 10.15.7 this morning which didn't have an impact on the boot up of either computer. 

I still haven't been able to figure out why this particular computer is hanging at these weird places during the boot while the other computer is not.  The one that works without any hang-ups is:  E5570, i7-6820HQ, 1920x1080.  The one that gets hung up as described above is:  E5470, i5-6440HQ, 1600x900.  Both are HD530 (though the E5570 also has the AMD that has now been disabled with Jake Lo's patch) with the same external connectors.  Both have the same exact base build/install/setup (though the E5570 has additional content for the Thunderbolt).  Any suggestions on how to debug this?  What logs to look at?  What things might be worth looking into changing? 

• Moderators

Give this a try, updated all the kext, added a couple of SSDT's and updated the Config. 

You'll need to fix your USBPortsE5x70.kext. The purpose of the kexts is to have only 15 ports or less as required by latest MacOS. Your kext has 21, way over the limit and I doubt it has that many USB ports on that system. I only see internal and USB 3.0 and none USB 2.0 on your kext.

You should be testing each external USB ports with an USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices, changing the default setting in Hackintool. For example, if you have 3 external USB ports, you should end up with (3) USB 3.0 ports (SSxx) and (3) USB 2.0 ports (HSxx) and a few internals like BT, Webcam, and SmartCard if it exists.

E5470_Update.zip

• Like 1

Thanks @Jake Lo for the "update" but unfortunately, there was no change.  Still about 24 seconds and about 18 seconds at the same points as before.  I deleted the ACPI and kexts folder and config.plist file from the EFI/CLOVER and replaced them with the ones you sent.  I know they took effect because I had disabled the mouse in Clover but I could see it was on for this boot.  So at least something changed but not the getting stuck part. 

Regarding the USB Ports, I had fixed that last week.  I realized that I hadn't hit the "minus" in Hackintool before doing the Export.  I updated that kext in my guide but I didn't think to mention that here in this topic.  Sorry about that.  Regardless, using your "update" would have replaced the USB Ports kext anyway and that still didn't resolve the boot hangs. 

I looked through the changes - adding the HPET patch, swapping out some kexts for others - interesting ideas but I wonder about why the E5570 would work fine while the E5470 does not. 

The storage on the E5470 with the problem is an Intel SSDSCKGF256A5 which isn't the latest greatest.  The storage on the E5570 is a WesternDigital WDS500G3X0C which is brand new and super speedy.  That seems to make a difference on general speed but I wouldn't think it would cause two holds totaling 42 seconds.  Both are M.2 SSDs and I've got the OS installed on APFS on both.  Both have the same Fenvi Broadcom cards that replaced the original Intel WiFi/BT cards.  Both have 16 Gb of RAM though they are various brands.  And the BIOS settings are the same on both computers too. 

Back to the question of the booting up, I'd still like to figure out where the log is stored.  I haven't been able to find that. 

But since I haven't been able to find it, I did a slow-mo of the two points where it gets stuck.  That way I could see what the next thing printed is.  I'm not sure that really answers the question but it might help.  And at least in the first one shows that time is really being used by something. 

The first place it hangs prints this after 24 seconds:

spaceman_trim_free_blocks:3326: scan took 21.194665 s, trims took 20.960902 s

The second one after 18 seconds prints this:

unexpected session: 100000 uid: -1 requested by 50

AppleKeyStore: operation failed (pid: 50 sel: 7 ret: e00002c2 '-536870206', -1, 100000)

I Googled about both of the above.  In the case of "spaceman" doing a "trim", I have no idea why my E5470's SSD would be so slow to respond to that.  Or why it would be different than the E5570.  And in the case of the second, it almost seems like there might be something residual from when trying hibernation but I just confirmed and hibernatemode is zero and the hibernatefile is /dev/null.  And this is after a restart, not a sleep so Sleep/Hibernate shouldn't be an issue. 

Hopefully the above gives you something to go on.  Thanks!!

5 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

Have you tried swapping the drives of the 2 systems?

I thought about it but decided against it because I thought I'd probably get some other messages about different hardware and because rebuilding the systems on different hard drives would be difficult now that they've been put into use.  But I can try just swapping the drives and see what happens.  And I'll look into how to disable trim later/tomorrow.  Thanks Jake.