E5470 with i5 6440HQ + HD 530 + Full HD screen: seeking EFI for Catalina

PMD

• Moderators

should be a patch under KextToPatch. Otherwise it can be done in the terminal

Check in system information under Sata/Sata express to verify if Trim is enabled or not

sudo trimforce enable

sudo trimforce disable

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:04 AM, Jake Lo said:

Have you tried swapping the drives of the 2 systems?

The boot problem swapped computers when I swapped drives.  That ruled out anything else about the hardware which was a good start.  But meant that it could have been the file content on the hard drive or the hard drive itself. 

On 10/6/2020 at 5:53 PM, Jake Lo said:

should be a patch under KextToPatch. Otherwise it can be done in the terminal

Check in system information under Sata/Sata express to verify if Trim is enabled or not

sudo trimforce enable

sudo trimforce disable

Thanks a lot @Jake Lo.  That helped me figure it out.  I used Clover Configurator to disable the IOACHIBlockStorage kext patch for enabling trim and the problem went away completely.  A normal boot.  Then I tried using the trimforce enable and the problem returned.  trimforce disable and the problem went away again.  Pretty clear that the problem is Trim with this SSD. 

So I researched that and found @Hervé had posted about a similar issue a while ago with an older model of an Intel SSD.  I booted into Windows and confirmed that Windows 10 had trim enabled for that drive ("fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" returned zero meaning the disabling of delete notify is disabled which is better stated as: Trim is on).  So it really comes down to some weird issue that MacOS has with this particular drive. 

I wrote it above but for completeness here, the drive that is causing this problem is an Intel SSDSCKGF256A5 M.2 256 Gb SSD.  It is connected via the M.2 connector and shows in the SATA section of System Information.  The SSD that works without issue in my other computer, the E5570, is a WD M.2 NVMe and shows in the NVMExpress section of System Information so there's a lot different about it.  But from the fact that most people seem to have Trim working on their non-Apple SSDs, it seems that the main problem is this particular drive. 

The upshot is that if I want a fast boot and I want trim working, I should replace the SSD.  Since I don't want to replace the SSD, I need to choose either to have a fast boot or to have Trim working.  From what I can tell, not enabling Trim will mean an imperceptible decrease in drive performance especially when running non-taxing applications and could accelerate the demise of the SSD.  I can live with that.  So I'm going to proceed with the kext patch disabled and after having entered trimforce disable. 

If by "speed differences", you mean the boot time, It is definitely related to Trim.  Turning off Trim and boom, problem goes away.  And from what I can tell, Trim works just fine on most SATA3 drives and it is a small set of Intel drives where the MacOS Trim doesn't work well. 

If by "speed differences", you mean the regular runtime interaction, I'm only talking about the Intel drive with Trim on versus off.  (I'm definitely not comparing the SATA3 to the NVMe drives because of their built in differences.)  As I wrote, I'm expecting the slight penalty to turning off Trim to be imperceptible to me compared to when it was on.