E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Hi patel4prez,

Thank for putting the time into this guide, not to mention keeping it updated.  it is excellent!

Was looking to upgrade to 10.8.4., but but it appears the permissions for the Extras attached to the thread may be wrong (note that it has zero downloads).

I get a message that I'm not allowed to view the attachement, all other attachements on the post can be accessed.

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads-up! It should be fixed now!

• Like 1

I am having some trouble installing 10.8.4 from scratch on the E6410.  I followed the instructions to create the USB boot disk.  I used the Extras files in the "E6410 ML.zip" file.  I used the updated AppleAHCIPort & IO Kexts.  And I copied all the "E6410 ML 10.8.x.zip" folders to the USB thumb drive.  I have the A12 BIOS.

The problem is that when I boot from USB on my E6410 and use the "-v" option I get through the silver screen with white text, but when I get to the black screen with white text the boot sequence stops at the line "AppleIntelE1000e: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx".  And my thumb drive has no activity on it.  I've let it sit there for at least 30 minutes and still nothing.

Is there something I'm missing here?

• Moderators

I am having some trouble installing 10.8.4 from scratch on the E6410.  I followed the instructions to create the USB boot disk.  I used the Extras files in the "E6410 ML.zip" file.  I used the updated AppleAHCIPort & IO Kexts.  And I copied all the "E6410 ML 10.8.x.zip" folders to the USB thumb drive.  I have the A12 BIOS.

The problem is that when I boot from USB on my E6410 and use the "-v" option I get through the silver screen with white text, but when I get to the black screen with white text the boot sequence stops at the line "AppleIntelE1000e: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx".  And my thumb drive has no activity on it.  I've let it sit there for at least 30 minutes and still nothing.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Do you have an Intel or Nvidia display?

Do you have an Intel or Nvidia display?

Looks like it might be Intel.

I tried starting over just using the 10.8 extras files (instead of the 10.8.4 extra files) and when I booted using the "-v" option this time it got to the "System uptime" message.  However I just tried rebooting again using the "-v" option and the AppleIntelE1000e message came back.

• Moderators

Looks like it might be Intel.

I tried starting over just using the 10.8 extras files (instead of the 10.8.4 extra files) and when I booted using the "-v" option this time it got to the "System uptime" message.  However I just tried rebooting again using the "-v" option and the AppleIntelE1000e message came back.

For Intel, follow this instruction:

Intel graphics - please delete/rename (ex. XXXX.kext.oldAppleIntelHDGraphics.kext & AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext and rebuild caches/repair permissions using Kext Wizard. - richbutler1's post

For Intel, follow this instruction:

Intel graphics - please delete/rename (ex. XXXX.kext.oldAppleIntelHDGraphics.kext & AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext and rebuild caches/repair permissions using Kext Wizard. - richbutler1's post

That worked, but now I'm getting the "Installation Failed" screen after running through the OS X installation.

Hello & welcome to the forums sjwgator!

It looks like you've made some steady progress!

When you reboot, if you get the blinking cursor, try and reboot from the flash drive and select the hard drive you installed OS X on through chameleon.

Hello & welcome to the forums sjwgator!

It looks like you've made some steady progress!

When you reboot, if you get the blinking cursor, try and reboot from the flash drive and select the hard drive you installed OS X on through chameleon.

Thank you very much!  I figured it out.  That's exactly what I needed to do.  

One more question.  I did see that wifi can work on the E6410, but mine does not seem to be working.  Probably means I don't have the correct internal wifi card installed.  Does anyone have a similar issue?  I followed the instructions to get wifi working, but it didn't seem to take -- even after I rebooted.  Any thoughts?