D830 freeze during install of 10.7.4

jahudka

OK, I'll try remaking the image.. and yes, I'm on a MBR disk right now, but I thought it is not mandatory to make it GUID, only that it's recommended..? I can't afford to wipe my hard drive clean right now..

You cannot "add" it to an existing partition with Windows, you would have to create a separate partition on the drive to install OSx to. Unless you do this: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/02/mac-os-x-on-mbr-partition.html. NOTE: This was for SL, not sure if it applies to Lion, ML

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wiped my harddrive (I have another laptop anyway) but still the same issue. I also installed myHack to another another USB-drive, but that doesn't solve it either.

Maybe it crashes before it is able to create a log entry for it?

Did you go into BIOS and shut off Dynamic Acceleration, WiFi and Bluetooth and use AHCI for Hard Drive setting? After install, you can turn DA, WiFi & BT back on.

You cannot "add" it to an existing partition with Windows, you would have to create a separate partition on the drive to install OSx to. Unless you do this: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/02/mac-os-x-on-mbr-partition.html. NOTE: This was for SL, not sure if it applies to Lion, ML

of course I can't :o) I'm not that dumb. I have a separate partition on my hard drive which I intend to use for my OSX installation. The partition table is MBR though and as I have other stuff on the other partitions, I can't just wipe it and swap over to GPT. Another thing is that I believe Win 7 would complain about being installed to a GPT-partitioned disk on a non-EFI system and I need to dual-boot.

Did you go into BIOS and shut off Dynamic Acceleration, WiFi and Bluetooth and use AHCI for Hard Drive setting? After install, you can turn DA, WiFi & BT back on.

Yes, I did all of those.

of course I can't :o) I'm not that dumb. I have a separate partition on my hard drive which I intend to use for my OSX installation. The partition table is MBR though and as I have other stuff on the other partitions, I can't just wipe it and swap over to GPT. Another thing is that I believe Win 7 would complain about being installed to a GPT-partitioned disk on a non-EFI system and I need to dual-boot.

Yes, I did all of those.

Please read the link to see how to try to install OSx to an MBR partition (and the comments added to see if you want to try this method).

The second response was for a different member (indicated in the quote box of my post)

Yes, but I'm sure we're talking about the same problem here. We also have very similar hardware (Intel WiFi, Intel X3100 and 1920x1200 screen). Jahudka, what BIOS version are you running? I'm on A16.

You need to create the installer with the IO80211Family.kext, install it, then replace that kext with an earlier version here:

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=921&act=down&actionhash=guest

or go into the install stick and replace the kext prior to installation.

Please read the link to see how to try to install OSx to an MBR partition (and the comments added to see if you want to try this method).

The page linked does not seem to work - there's nothing there, but I suppose I found the article you were suggesting on the site and it says that myHack does the necessary mods itself during install..

The second response was for a different member (indicated in the quote box of my post)

.. sorry about that, didn't notice :o)

Yes, but I'm sure we're talking about the same problem here. We also have very similar hardware (Intel WiFi, Intel X3100 and 1920x1200 screen). Jahudka, what BIOS version are you running? I'm on A16.

A16 as well.

You need to create the installer with the IO80211Family.kext, install it, then replace that kext with an earlier version here:

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=921&act=down&actionhash=guest

or go into the install stick and replace the kext prior to installation.

thanks, I'll try that.

OK, tried the IO80211Family.kext you posted and it doesn't seem to change anything - I can get to the installer, then it gets stuck at 21 minutes left (right after the "Packagekit installation begins" message appears in the installer log window).

OK, tried the IO80211Family.kext you posted and it doesn't seem to change anything - I can get to the installer, then it gets stuck at 21 minutes left (right after the "Packagekit installation begins" message appears in the installer log window).

Again, this post was intended for another member. Refer to post #17. Osx can't be installed on an MBR partition unless it is modified. I think you confused that the installer can be created on either a GUID or MBR partition, not that you can use the installer to install on one. I believe you need to utilize the my hack tools fdisk440 to be able to repair theMBR install you made in order to accomodate OSx, something which works best with OSx being installed first.