D830 freeze during install of 10.7.4

jahudka

Ok, some update's due, I guess...

I've managed to install SL 10.6.3. First of all I ran the software update. That required a reboot (said something about what I assume to be a combo update). Anyway, after the reboot my system came all the way up to 10.6.8 and failed to boot at all. It just simply froze on something during boot... something different every time. Sounds familiar? Anyway, I never got to install EDP there.

So I scratched that and reinstalled 10.6.3 again. This time I disabled sw update rightaway and then I installed the EDP - that's where my previous report comes from.

And that landed me in a working 10.6.3 install, with Bluetooth working, WiFi (Intel) disabled in BIOS, touchpad being a little oversensitive (could be lived with I guess - plus, when I push a tiny little harder, it behaves as a two-finger scroll - on a non-multitouch trackpad! nice!), sleep not working at all (I close the lid, wait a while, but nothing happens - LEDs indicate the system is still running; when I open the lid again, the screen is blank and all I can do is press and hold the power button... bye sleep).

Moreover, I cannot move on from here: a software update would probably break things, and I can't run the 10.7.4 installer directly, because I need to be running 10.6.6. or higher to install Lion from the running system.

So, with a sigh, I shut the laptop down again and tried a 10.7.4 install with the Intel wifi and the Bluetooth adapter physically removed. Exact same situation as before: the installer freezes. Sometimes during boot, sometimes during install, once it freezed upon loading the language selector on the welcome screen. No KP, no error, nothing to cling to.

I'm getting desperate. ^_^

Anyway, I was thinking about maybe putting my hard drive into my friend's mac book and installing through there. Any tips on that? Would that be possible at all? What about the myHack finishing steps? I figure I should replace the HDD back into my laptop in-between the post-install reboot..

Heck, but I'm still trying! :-)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

As hinted in another post, I'm wondering if the issue could actually be with version 10.7.4 itself... Would you be able to try & install 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 instead? I'm just thinking of the initial troubles experienced after updating from 10.7.3 to 10.7.4 which required replacing the ACPI kext (or was it IOPCIFamily?) to a previous version prior to rebooting or the machine would become unbootable.

I've never had any problem installing Lion 10.7.2 on D620s, D630s and/or D830s, followed by EDP + OS X update to 10.7.5.

Thanks for that. I tried it and the installer did freeze, but not before I could open the installer log window and see that there's been a problem opening OSInstall.mpkg - the very package I had to replace in order to install to a MBR drive. Now that's an error I can probably fix, as soon as I get another hard drive to try a GPT install :-)

• Administrators

I don't understand why you have to modify OSInstall package to install OS X on your laptop. I've never had to do that when installing Lion on HDD with existing Win7 partitions that I kept, i.e. MBR drive, whether on a D630 or on a D830. It was the same on a D430 when installing SL on an existing MBR HDD with a Win XP partition.

I simply reduced the existing Win7 partitions from within Windows and formatted them NTFS. Once the Lion installer started, I simply reformatted the target partition (Mac OS extended (journaled)) and proceeded with installation as normal.

Afterwards, it's a simple matter of sorting out the bootloader (for dual boot) and you're ready to rock 'n 'roll.

Also, please note that, following apparent confirmation through another user, 10.7.4 does not appear to be a valid Lion version to start from due to the incompatible ACPI kext. Install an earlier release like 10.7.2, followed by EDP and then you can do a straight update to 10.7.5.

Well me neither. And I believe it wasn't always that way.. I don't remember having to replace the packages in the past in order to install on my MBR drive (I just never managed to get it properly running - I've had problems with EDP, touchpad / keyboard etc). Well, I already tried 10.7.2, but I'll give it another go and I'll try turning the SATA mode back to IDE - I believe that's about the only thing I changed in bios that was a permanent change and I believe I managed to install 10.7.4 before I switched to AHCI. It's all a bit strange and smells of black magic, but whatever gets me going :-)

Hi all,

so I'm back at it. I got a fresh copy of InstallESD.dmg from a friend; this time it's 10.7.2. The installer still freezes before I can do anything useful. After a couple of tries I got as far as Disk Utility and I managed to format my target partition. But then again, in the Disk Chooser, the Installer told me that I need to repartition the whole drive to GPT.

I believe I already know the steps to create the installation USB stick by heart. I already did it a thousand times with a dozen different USB sticks and a dozen different sources. I re-read all the related tutorials and how-tos, and then re-read them again. I just can't seem to find what am I doing wrong. Something is rotten in my D830.

The two problems that I have are that the installer randomly freezes without ever giving up a clue as to what was the cause and that the installer won't allow me to install to a MBR-partitioned drive, though myHack specifically patches the OSInstall framework and mpkg to circumvent that. I believe the latter might be hinting at what the real problem is and solving it could effectively also solve the former, but I don't know anything for sure, as there has not been a single error message, not a single KP to give me a clue.

The next step I'm going to try is a vanilla install on my friend's Mac Book, then reboot from his hard drive, plug my own drive in his Mac Book's USB through an adapter and apply the bootpack's Extra through myHack. Then I'll replace the drive into my laptop and I'll see what comes up... should God feel merciful enough, I might even get as far as trying to install the EDP. Then we shall see.

Do you think the above method may be at all successful?

Thanks!

• Administrators

You won't be able to boot without a bootloader and, if you friend's Mac does not closely ressembles your D830 hardwarewise, good luck!!!

Is there a particular reason why you won't partition your disk GUID?

Oh yes, there is - I currently have Win 7 installed on one partition and also I have a rather large partition with data on the drive. I need to keep the Win 7 installation for my work currently - I really need a smooth transition, i.e. one day I'm on Win 7 and the next on OSX. I can easily backup the data partition (actually, most of the data on that partition is already backed up, kind of obviously), but the thing is, I need to come home from work, reinstall to OSX and be able to work the next day - so cloning my system partition and restoring it in case of a fail is a bit cumbersome to say the least. If I knew for sure that there will be no problems with my OSX install, I'd have done it already, but until then I can't depend on it...

Well if there's any other way of getting the installer to work, I'm all ears. My (wild) guess is that something goes wrong with myHack when it tries to patch the OSInstall framework and mpkg to enable installing on a MBR drive, something that a) does not fix installing on a MBR drive and B) breaks the installer altogether (and causes the freezing). Is there any way to bypass that step, and either leave the files intact (and install on a GPT drive) or patch the files manually?

• Administrators

Well, I'm open to stand corrected, but I understand that myHack no longer supports installations on MBR partitioned HDD. That would exclude OS X on your current Win7 HDD. That would leave you with no other solution but use another disk, whether internal of USB external (that works for OS X, not for Win). I think I have an old 40Go IDE HDD with Win7 on it, I'll give that a try tonight after recovering a bit of space, to confirm.