D830 freeze during install of 10.7.4

jahudka

My apologies, I am guilty of both misunderstanding your issue and poorly communicating what I was trying to say. Of course OSx can be installed on a MBR disk. If not you wouldn't be able to create the My Hack installer on a MBR drive. Most people doing a dual boot are doing a fresh install and creat the OSx partition first. Your case, with adding an OSx partition to a Windows disk is different. I have not dealt with this before, but I believe that since Windows makes itself a proprietary system, it makes OSx partition inactive and the MBR needs to be repaired (not modified, as I indicated earlier) and allow the OSx partition to become active to install it. I'm not sure if the MBR repair instructions on the My Hack site will allow for this (It's in a section labeled Dual Booting Demystified), but you can try, and if no joy post to the forum for a solution. Search Google: Dual Booting Demystified

Thanks for the tip, good reading, it will come in handy eventually - but I don't see how the target partition being not active could make the installer freeze before I actually do anything - I mean, it did freeze on me a couple of times before I even got to launch the Disk Utility (for example in the language chooser dialogue). Or even in the single-user recovery console in safe mode (-v -f -x -s at boot from USB), though that time it was surely when I tried to mount the drive, so it could be related. But in the installer that shouldn't be the case - why would the installer hang because of a partition being active/inactive before I can even tell it which disk we'll be installing on? Strange. I'll definitely try it, but I'm not overly optimistic :o) will post results.

EDIT: and right I am. Booted from installer USB with -v -f -x -s; at the bash prompt I was first trying to restore the IO80211Family.kext I replaced previously (just in case), so I did a 'mount -rw /', then some cd's and ls's and right when I was typing the mv command to move the kext from SLE to a backup place it froze (I guess upon a TAB-completion which actually never happened). The target hard drive was never mounted or otherwise touched, as far as I can tell. It might still be a faulty installation medium - I'll try to make a new one tomorrow on another USB stick, to rule out both software and hardware faults. Will report. :o)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disabled Dynamic Acceleration. It seems to hang pretty random.

Currently it hangs with this screen:

But sometimes it hangs earlier (screenshot) with this error:

Or with:

Everytime it's something different.

The issues I see appear to be permission problems. Have you tried repairing permissions on your Installer, using the machine you created it with? Another method to repair permissions on the Installer (offered by Conti) can be found at: http://myhack.sojugarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53

• Administrators

could be a usb stick issue too they can overheat sometimes and lose contact internally.... it's happened to me. when the thumb drive is cold it worked fine after a few minutes it would just die. but in windows it seemed to work fine for quick file drops. weird but i guess thats not as intensive as installing an os with all those reads to it. go figure.

could be a usb stick issue too they can overheat sometimes and lose contact internally.... it's happened to me. when the thumb drive is cold it worked fine after a few minutes it would just die. but in windows it seemed to work fine for quick file drops. weird but i guess thats not as intensive as installing an os with all those reads to it. go figure.

I gave that and a corrupt image some thought, but he's tried a couple of USB's, so that seemed less likely, unless it's a bad port.

All right, you have GOT to be kidding me...

Gentlemen, I believe I cracked this.

It's the battery.

I bought my D830 second hand, so my battery life went pooh quite fast. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a genuine Dell replacement, so I bought a way cheaper "compatible" battery off of Ebay. Never gave it a second thought.

Having remade the installation usb stick a couple of times using different machines to do the job and different usb sticks I was already running pretty low on hope. Just this last time when I was reading through various stuff regarding the installation process to see if I missed something the previous zilion times, a line in the Pre-installation guide caught my eye: "Our bootpacks contain almost every kext (driver) you need, except the battery and audio driver."

Battery. Battery. Battery.

So I tried again with the battery removed...

And the installer just works! I'm now stuck at the disk selection where it tells me that I really need to reformat my whole drive to GPT (more on that follows), but instead of freezing right there after virtually a couple of minutes it just sits there, still operational, and operational still, and on it goes...

WOW!!! I would never have guessed that.

Well, obviously I did in the end ^_^ somehow...

Peter, if you're still watching this, do you, perchance, have a non-genuine battery installed in your system? Could you try booting and installing with the battery removed?

I sure will laugh my arse off if this really is the issue...

As to the GPT thing, I remember having seen that before, but I'm unsure now whether I had to fix that or if I had just recreated the installer with a newer version of stuff.. ultimately, now I'm using the latest versions of both myHack and the bootpack for my system; I read through the "Install OSX Lion on MBR" guide again that Darvinko pointed out before and it does say that myHack-based installers shouldn't need to be modified as myHack updates them itself.

Tried searching, but the myHack guide just says that you can pick either GPT or MBR and I was as yet unable to find a reasonable explanation as to why this shouldn't work the way it's described. If anyone could point me in a direction here, I'd be really grateful :o) I'm gonna try the guide mentioned by Darvinko anyway and will post results in a couple of minutes.

Sorry for the "novelistic" length of this post, I'm just so excited right now! :o)

Laters :o)

Hey again... so I tried replacing the OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstall packages and now I can select the desired partition on my MBR formatted hard drive... but guess what: the freezing problem is back again. I'll try putting the original packages back tomorrow to see if it really doesn't freeze with those and if that works, maybe I'll go for a second drive in the media bay that'd be GPT formatted...

• Administrators

Hi Jahudka, is there a particular reason why are you playing with OSinstall packages instead of re-installing from scratch off a fresh myHack installer key? Wouldn't that be much easier?

Also, am I right by saying you're trying to install OS X on a HDD that possess an existing Win partition that you don't want to lose? It'd be ideal if you were able to try installation on a different HDD you would partition GUID. That'd give you the most standard platform to start with.

Hi Hervé, yes, there's a reason for that :o) When I create a fresh USB stick with myHack, the installer won't allow me to install to a MBR-partitioned hard drive. And, answering your second question, yes: I have just the one hard drive and currently I'm running win 7 off it. As I do much like all of my work on that system, I can't afford to wipe it clean unless I'm sure I have a fully operational alternative. That wouldn't be a really big deal though: If I knew I can actually install OSX I could easily just do a backup on an external drive, partition my hdd to GUID and install with the stock myHack USB stick. But like I said, the installer freezes every single time, no matter what - if I use the stock OSInstall packages that myHack provides, if I replace them with the patched ones that allow installing on MBR, it even freezes with different source DMGs (tried 10.7.4 and 10.7.3), it freezes regardless of the battery present or missing... there's just no way to make it through the install, whatsoever I try to do. Unless I can be at least hopefull of succeeding with my OSX install, I can't really get rid of the win system... :o/