D830 freeze during install of 10.7.4

jahudka

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of sheer curiosity, I tried installing with a bootpack for the lo-res model of D830 with X3100 graphics card. Just to see what would happen. Once the installer went into graphic mode, the screen went black, but overall it seamed that the system didn't hang - caps lock still worked, for instance. So it occured to me to connect an external monitor and voila - the screen came up happily with the gray Lion wallpaper. Then it was just a matter of closing the lid to get the actual installer to show on the external monitor.

So I tried installing on an external GPT-partitioned drive. I never got as far as an actual installation though, because it would always crash - not a KP, as far as I can tell, but an installer crash accompanied with full output of the installation log and a prompt to view/save the log or shutdown/restart the pc.

The log didn't make me any wiser, but I think there were some lines about not being able to open some files because they don't exist. I didn't think to save the log and post it here; I could do that, but obviously solving errors that came up with an incorrect bootpack for my system doesn't make much sense. But it occured to me that I may have a damaged source DMG after all. With the wrong bootpack it seemed that the error is as random as with the correct bootpack, the difference being that with the correct bootpack the error doesn't show - instead the installer just freezes, possibly trying to show the error. One more reason to try a different DMG :o)

If any of you guys think that the error log from the installation with the wrong bootpack might be of any use, just let me know and I'll post it.