D830 freeze during install of 10.7.4

jahudka

• Administrators

Strange...

My 1st two OS X installations on a D430 and a D630 were on HDD that already had Windows on them. I simply reduced the original partition from within Windows through the computer management tool and created a new partition, NTFS-formated, in the recovered disk space.

I was then able to install OS X on those partitions without doing any particular package manipulation. I simply booted the myHack installer key and started with the Disk Utility to re-format the target partition as OS X journaled, the overall HDD partitionings retaining their original MBR setup.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, strange it is... :(

I'm borrowing a spare drive from a friend tomorrow; I'll try and see if I'm able to install to a GPT-formatted drive. I'm not letting my hopes high though.. this does seem to be an installer issue as I'm pretty sure GPT wasn't the only option a couple of months back (just an older version of myHack and the bootpack, same source DMG).

• Administrators

well if that works out then you can clone the drive to your second partition on your windows 7 hdd. but have you tried using different usb ports? also having intel wifi in the machine as well as the bt even though it's off can sometimes cause the issue. are you an latest bios? i think earlt bios also had similar issues. another test is try with the npci=0x2000 flag at chameleon boot and or trying sata mode instead of ahci.

Hi Bronxteck,

yes, I tried all three USB ports available on my D830, though the WiFi and BT cards were physically inside my laptop everytime I installed - I only turned them off in BIOS. I'm using the latest BIOS (A16, I believe). The npci flag is one thing I didn't try recently, same as switching the HDD back to IDE - I'll try both of those if installing on a GPT-partitioned drive fails.

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate your help.

Yes, I've got the Intel wifi, I'm disabling it in BIOS before even attempting to boot the installer, along with Dynamic Acceleration and Bluetooth. I'm yet to try installing with the wifi and the bt card physically removed as Bronxteck suggested, didn't have much time in the past few days..

Also, I have a little isssue with myHack while trying to create a 10.6.3 installer. I'm actually running 10.6.3 in VirtualBox, that's what I use to prepare my installation dongle. The issue is that when I opt to create a 10.6 installer, myHack never prompts me for the DMG; it just says that it's found a 10.6.3 install DVD even though I don't believe there's any way it really could. I think that myHack might be actually rebuilding the installer from the actual 10.6.3 system that it's running on. Anyway, I tried to let it do it's job a couple of times, but I only got to the part where myHack says it's gonna copy some 13 GB of data to the dongle and there it got stuck - it still looked like it's working, but there wasn't any progress for more than an hour. So I can't prepare a 10.6.3 installer to try instead of 10.7..

• Administrators

ok got some info from Conti...

1. use diskutility to restore the 10.6 dmg or dvd to the usb then do the following seperatly

2. run "install myhack utilities"

3. run "install chameleon"

4. run "install extras" and choose your model boot pack.

I will roger that, sir! Thanks :-)

EDIT: Thanks again, I now have a working 10.6.3 installer. Strange thing though, it still wants me to partition the hdd to GUID, even though I distinctly remember myHack saying it's patched the relevant OSInstall packages and OSInstall framework which I believed was meant to enable installing to a MBR drive.

So the next step is trying to install to a GUID partitioned drive.. I'll have to borrow a spare drive from a friend again so that will take a day or two. I'll post the results then.

Bye :-)

Okay, so now I'm running 10.6.3 on my MBR drive along with Win 7. Friend's drive was needed elsewhere for the foreseeable future, so I went and modified the OSInstall framework and mpkg like before (only using files specifically for 10.6.3). So far everything is running smoothly, I just installed EDP and before I reboot, I thought I'd post this here as it might be useful.. This is part of what the EDP script told me:

Step 2) Preparing kexts for myHack.kext 
 Start by cleaning up in /Extra/Extensions
 Copying the PS2 controller kexts (mouse+keyboard driver) to /Extra/Extensions 
 Copying the Audio kexts to /Extra/Extensions 
 Check if we need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext for disabling Apples native power management.. 
 Check if we need SleepEnabler.kext for enabling sleep...
 Copying IOATAFamily.kext to /Extra/Extensions.. 
 Check if we need VoodooTSCSync.kext for syncing CPU cores...
 Check if we are using emulated speedstep via voodoopstate and voodoopstatemenu 
 Copying Battery kext (VoodooBattery.kext) to /Extra/Extensions 
 Copying BCM5722D.kext to /Extra/Extensions...
 Copying standard kexts to /Extra/Extensions.. 

Copying sl kexts to /Extra/Extensions.. 

cp: /Extra/storage/standard/sl/Extensions/*: No such file or directory
 Copying common kexts to /Extra/Extensions.. 

cp: /Extra/Models/Dell_Latitude_D830-intel2/common/Extensions/*: No such file or directory
 Copying sl kexts to /Extra/Extensions.. 

cp: /Extra/Models/Dell_Latitude_D830-intel2/sl/Extensions/*: No such file or directory

As I haven't rebooted yet (in order to post this here), I don't know if those cp errors are going to be a show stopper or not; I'll be back with that info in a couple of minutes.