ELAN, FocalTech and Synaptics (Smart Touchpad) Driver

EMlyDinEsH

Thanks man, this driver works pretty fine for my Elan V4 touchpad (on ASUS K56CM, Mountain Lion 10.8.3) I have to say that this is the best touchpad driver for hackintosh so far.

Well, it's not recognized as a multi-touch device to OS X (which means it won't work for softwares which have there own multi-touch gestures) but it do make gestures work (by simulating keyboard & mouse actions I guess?)

---

But I have some problems using this driver, sometimes my touchpad just stops working. move, tap and even the physical buttons won't work - it just freezes and I don't know why, and I don't know how to make it work again except for rebooting (OS X itself isn't freezing, I can still use keyboard to logoff and reboot) I tried disable the "Ignoring Accidental Input while typing" function, no luck.

I'm now using 2.1 final driver, I can't clearly tell which one is newer - the 2.1 [final] or 2.1.3 [beta] ... I'll try 2.1.3 and report back later see if this bug still exist (I can't be very sure, since it doesn't happen everytime, but when it happens, it's really annoying.)

---

As I said, it's not a "native" multi-touch device to OS X, could you make OS X think it's an native device so that we can use a lot programs' gestures? I think this is really really hard, but if you did it, it will be way-much-better than just simulating with keyboard & mouse actions.

---

Well, if you can't really do that, I still have some ideas for simulating:

1. Application based gestures (check 4. down there as well :)
  I'm not talking about to support all the apps' own gestures, just an idea of using touchegg (multi-touch gestures support for Linux, I tried it with Linux Mint, it's really impressive) basically, you can define different actions for different applcations. for example, now "full-screen" gestures is acturally a keyboard action "command-control-F" which supports by most applications but not all - for example if I do this in finder, it will just take me to the "search this mac" page.

2. Corner tap
  for now, it just moves my cursor to the corner, and move it back to the center of the screen. it's not really big deal, but could you provide an option to let it remember the last cursor position when I tap on the corner and return it to that position instead of just put it in the center of the screen?

3. Drag
  I can use double-tap drag on nearly everything but not the window. I noticed there is an option to enable this but it's marked as V3 only, which I tried for my V4 device as well but didn't come up working. I sure can get tap-n-hold to drag a window work, I just need some time to get use to it. but it won't work any time - maybe just I'm not patient enough?

4. More Customizable (check 1. up there as well :)
  We can nearly do anything by the custome keyboard shortcut (which is an OS X native function you can find in system prefernce) - even supports application specificed shortcut (This sure is really useful!!) it will be awsome if we can customize each gesture for any keyboard shortcut.
  For example, Right Edge Swipe toggles notifition center by simulating a mouse click on the top right of the screen - this will only work if you can see the menubar ( and not working for everytime) if we give it a custom keyboard shortcut (using OS X native function) and then assign driver to simulate this keyboard shortcut when we swipe from the right edge, it will work much more better even in full-screen applications (I just tried it works great! OS X sure is the best OS,which at the same time I'm definitely sure Windows 8 is a piece of s**t)

---

Thanks again for your hardwork on this great driver, and thank you for your patient of reading my reply XD

• Like 1

Thanks man, this driver works pretty fine for my Elan V4 touchpad (on ASUS K56CM, Mountain Lion 10.8.3) I have to say that this is the best touchpad driver for hackintosh so far.

Thanks again for your hardwork on this great driver, and thank you for your patient of reading my reply XD

Thanks for your suggestions. You see making application specific gestures is little difficult since it needs detecting the app opened and modifying the gestures based on it but I got less time to spend on this every day becoz of my life, otherwise using the keyboard specific actions for those which is ok and possible, so if you let me know the applications and their gestures you wish to see then I can try implement those.

Corner tapping needs Hot corners needs to be enabled and configured to work and resetting the pointer is little difficult becoz if i try to make it work then the preciseness will be reduced and I'll try to improve this in future to reset but this is my least priority when compared with other things i have in my list so don't worry you'll see everything improved as the time goes and I wish to finish all this soon but I got some struggling life so can't get more time on this.Double tap to drag on windows has been fixed in the coming update.

However, i've included some useful features, bug fixes and good improvements in the coming major update which will be released in less than week so give it a try for your issues and let me know. If you still have any issues then PM me and i'll try to fix those.

Thanks for your suggestions. You see making application specific gestures is little difficult since it needs detecting the app opened and modifying the gestures based on it but I got less time to spend on this every day becoz of my life, otherwise using the keyboard specific actions for those which is ok and possible, so if you let me know the applications and their gestures you wish to see then I can try implement those.

Corner tapping needs Hot corners needs to be enabled and configured to work and resetting the pointer is little difficult becoz if i try to make it work then the preciseness will be reduced and I'll try to improve this in future to reset but this is my least priority when compared with other things i have in my list so don't worry you'll see everything improved as the time goes and I wish to finish all this soon but I got some struggling life so can't get more time on this.Double tap to drag on windows has been fixed in the coming update.

However, i've included some useful features, bug fixes and good improvements in the coming major update which will be released in less than week so give it a try for your issues and let me know. If you still have any issues then PM me and i'll try to fix those.

Thanks for your reply, I'm looking forward to the coming update!

And... after tried 2.1.3 beta, I still have the problem that the touchpad might completely stop working at some point - I've really no idea what will cause that. at first it happened a lot while I'm chatting with my friend, I thought I just typed too quick or what? (but I still get my keyboard working fine :/) but the last time it happens while I'm just trying to install an application, it just stopped working right BEFORE I click on the icon .__. so I can't really say it's as a bug since I'm totally no clue. Is there some log file I can find? it might make no sense to me but I think if there is one, you should have a look at it.

---

As i said, OS X has a native function to customize keyboard shortcut for nearly everything :
System Preferences - Keyboard - (list on the left) Application Shortcuts - click on the add button, select an application, enter ANY menu title you want and give it a keyboard shortcut - voila! now you can have any function you like with your favorite keyboard shortcut :D 
So that's what I meant - if you can make it able to set any gestures to any keyboard shortcut, then it will be possible to make any gesture trigger any function in any application - that will be really awesome!

Thanks for your reply, I'm looking forward to the coming update!

And... after tried 2.1.3 beta, I still have the problem that the touchpad might completely stop working at some point - I've really no idea what will cause that. at first it happened a lot while I'm chatting with my friend, I thought I just typed too quick or what? (but I still get my keyboard working fine :/) but the last time it happens while I'm just trying to install an application, it just stopped working right BEFORE I click on the icon .__. so I can't really say it's as a bug since I'm totally no clue. Is there some log file I can find? it might make no sense to me but I think if there is one, you should have a look at it.

---

As i said, OS X has a native function to customize keyboard shortcut for nearly everything :
System Preferences - Keyboard - (list on the left) Application Shortcuts - click on the add button, select an application, enter ANY menu title you want and give it a keyboard shortcut - voila! now you can have any function you like with your favorite keyboard shortcut :D
So that's what I meant - if you can make it able to set any gestures to any keyboard shortcut, then it will be possible to make any gesture trigger any function in any application - that will be really awesome!

I think your issue while chatting could be becoz of accidental input for which my driver diasables for 1.5sec to prevent accidental inputs from touchpad while typing. Also the right button hold for two or three second will disable touchpad so either of might have conflicted or some bugs which i've fixed i did see so far when i'm using. I think you might get these issues fixed in my coming update as i've tested it very well in my system and its working without issues.

And the keyboard shortcuts can be configured for everything but it makes complicated to understand for everyone and also  mostly so many people don't need it. I'm considering the other features which is much needed so far and trying to add some functions to the gestures so people can configure it if they need. I'll consider to add this keyboard shortcuts functions to gestures if i get time before i release otherwise i'll try to add this in next version.

@radarnyan

I had the same problem and I've figured the trackpad freezes as if you pushed the right button for a while.

As emlydinesh said, it's got the trackpad disabled.

So just try to keep the right button pressed a couple of seconds and it will be there again.

Hope it helps

Hi Emlydinesh I've a strange fact on my v3 - 2.1.3 kext.

I'm trying to edit the ApplePs2Keyboard info.plist in order to switch Fn keys (great work by the way, i've a Samsung laptop and they work).

Point is: there's no Fn Keys voice inside the info.plist.

I've followed instructions to the letter but couldn't find it.

I've opened it with PLIST editor

Hi Emlydinesh I've a strange fact on my v3 - 2.1.3 kext.

I'm trying to edit the ApplePs2Keyboard info.plist in order to switch Fn keys (great work by the way, i've a Samsung laptop and they work).

Point is: there's no Fn Keys voice inside the info.plist.

I've followed instructions to the letter but couldn't find it.

I've opened it with PLIST editor

I've not released the new version yet, just edited my post for release. Wait for one more day till i release the new version 2.4 which has all the features I've explained.

@radarnyan

I had the same problem and I've figured the trackpad freezes as if you pushed the right button for a while.

As emlydinesh said, it's got the trackpad disabled.

So just try to keep the right button pressed a couple of seconds and it will be there again.

Hope it helps

I'm glad to hear that it works for you.

unfortunately, I never use the buttons, I prefer two fingers tap as right click. And when it freeze, I tried a lot of things including holding the buttons (yes I've noticed mouse button could disable the touchpad) and nothing can bring it back so I had to restart to get it work again :(

Still looking around but in fact it didn't happen for a while - 'cause I'm using my pc for these days (yes, I made my pc a hackintosh too :D) I'll report back if I found any solutions.

I'm glad to hear that it works for you.

unfortunately, I never use the buttons, I prefer two fingers tap as right click. And when it freeze, I tried a lot of things including holding the buttons (yes I've noticed mouse button could disable the touchpad) and nothing can bring it back so I had to restart to get it work again :(

Still looking around but in fact it didn't happen for a while - 'cause I'm using my pc for these days (yes, I made my pc a hackintosh too :D) I'll report back if I found any solutions.

wait for my update and check in that since it might fix those issues.