Fn HotKey and ALS sensor driver for Asus Notebooks

EMlyDinEsH

Hi there.

Me back again, with same issues, nothing is working. :(

To start presenting my problem, again: laptop is a 17 inches Asus G750JW, it has a Nvidia card (765m) only, there is no Intel integrated and the keyboard is a full keyboard with numeric keys on the right and also with backlight (keys are illuminated - should be F3/F4).

Looking at the patches, I decided to try:
KeyboardBacklight_Patch  (Haswell).txt

After applying the above patch, now I have the original functions untouched (SLKB and GLKB) but also the new functions introduced by the patch (SKBL and GKBL).
Also, right after compiling noticed that I had an error, it was missing B0FF, so I added it manually (found its definition in KeyboardBacklight_16Levels_Patch (Haswell).txt ). Fixed the error and saved the new DSDT and booted again.

Fn+F3 and Fn+F4 still not working!

I'm on v2.3 right now, I saw somewhere that the kext should have an entry like: "Enable Asus KBacklight" to Yes for enabling keyboard backlight controls in F3 and F4 by default. " 

Is the above still relevant? Right now I have F3KeyFunction=0 and F4KeyFunction=0 in plist.

When I was on v.2.2 at least I was getting some: "AsusNBFnKeys: Keyboard backlight method not found" when pressing Fn+F3 or F4.

Also tried brightness Fn keys patch: added method _Q0E and _Q0F and no result, Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 did nothing.
When I was on v.2.2 at least I was getting some: "AsusNBFnKeys: Asus Backlight device not Found" when pressing Fn+F5 or F6.

Also tested Fn+C, Fn+V and Fn+Space, those seems to work out of the box with no patching and sudo dmesg gives me:

FN+Space: Dispatched Key:  0x42 ( 66)

first press FN+C: Dispatched Key:  0x34 ( 52) 
second press FN+C: Dispatched Key:  0x57 ( 87) 

first press FN+V: Dispatched Key:  0x40 ( 64) 
second press FN+V: Dispatched Key:  0x56 ( 86) 

I thought this should have worked only for compact keyboard, but I have a full keyboard (with numeric keys on right). Could this be an issue?

Attached is my clean DSDT (no patches related to Asus Fn Keys applied):

Any help please? Thanks in advance!

DSDT with battery fix.aml.zip

Hi there.

Me back again, with same issues, nothing is working. :(

To start presenting my problem, again: laptop is a 17 inches Asus G750JW, it has a Nvidia card (765m) only, there is no Intel integrated and the keyboard is a full keyboard with numeric keys on the right and also with backlight (keys are illuminated - should be F3/F4).

Hello,

try this: 

Arise's DSDT.aml.zip

Asus ELAN touchpad:keyboard G750.zip

Uploaded again in my post above my DSDT. I think previous version was patched by mistake.

Also tried Todpik kexts (both of them are installed) and his modified DSDT for me. By looking at it, there are only the SKBL and GKBL added.

Tested anyway, not working.

Fn + F3 and Fn+F4 not working.

Uploaded again in my post above my DSDT. I think previous version was patched by mistake.

Also tried Todpik kexts (both of them are installed) and his modified DSDT for me. By looking at it, there are only the SKBL and GKBL added.

Tested anyway, not working.

Fn + F3 and Fn+F4 not working.

Well, there was a mistake in your dsdt. But i think corrected that. I will try to patch your new dsdt later.

I have got an asus g750jh, it is very similar to yours. I got everything working fine (Including keyboard backlight), but display brightness. We're working on it with EmlyDinesh, but there is only a little progress..

@jona001mn : I think for you there is no Method  _Q0E instead it could be called  Method (_Q11, 0, NotSerialized) with  ^^^^ATKD.IANE (Add (Local0, 0x20))

Or, instead of _Q0E it could be  Method (_Q1E, 0, NotSerialized) with ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x50)

@Todpik: I think I'm doing some sort of basic mistake, I either don't know what kext I need or I have some function name manglings in DSDT.
I still don't understand if I need all or only some of:
Fn Hotkey Driver for Asus Notebooks
Display backlight Driver for Asus Notebooks
Elan Touchpad Driver (Mac OS X)

@jona001mn : I think for you there is no Method  _Q0E instead it could be called  Method (_Q11, 0, NotSerialized) with  ^^^^ATKD.IANE (Add (Local0, 0x20))

Or, instead of _Q0E it could be  Method (_Q1E, 0, NotSerialized) with ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x50)

@Todpik: I think I'm doing some sort of basic mistake, I either don't know what kext I need or I have some function name manglings in DSDT.
I still don't understand if I need all or only some of:
Fn Hotkey Driver for Asus Notebooks
Display backlight Driver for Asus Notebooks
Elan Touchpad Driver (Mac OS X)

You don't need my display backlight driver and its only for notebooks up to Intel second generation notebooks. You need Fn keys drivers for your real fn key and ELAN driver for touchpad. Your problem with Keyboard backlight is because of this line in SKBL "^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.WRAM (0x044B, Local0)". Your original method uses "0x44B" instead of "0x4B1" found in Haswell notebooks. So, correct this and you will get your keyboard backlight working.

Ok, but my original DSDT have method SLKB and method GLKB.

However the patches are for replacing methods SKBL and GKBL.

So what do I have to do? If I run the patch as it is it will just preserve the body for SLKB/GLKB and also add SKBL/GKBL. I tried also with all 4 methods and no result, then I tried with all four methods but I've replaced the original SLKB/GLKB body with the code from SKBL/GKBL and still nothing.

So I've tried all combinations for DSDT, but no results regarding my backlight when pressing Fn+F3 and Fn+F4. Maybe not the right keys or scan codes being generated?

Anyway...

By accident I've discovered that Shift+F5 activated voice over mode

Then I discovered that Shift+CapsLock or just Shift can be a replacement for Fn, and after pressing 
Shift+F2 = dimmer (it tells me in voice mode and display the text on display, but no change in screen brightness)
Shift + F3 = brighter (it tells me in voice mode and display the text on display, but no change in screen brightness)
Shift+caps lock + F5 = dimmer (it tells me in voice mode and display the text on display, but no change in screen brightness)
Shift + caps lock +F6 = brighter (it tells me in voice mode and display the text on display, but no change in screen brightness)
Shift + caps lock +F8 = mirror display 

My real Fn key is doing nothing. Shift+Caps Lock +F3/F4 also not working despite Shift+Caps+F5/F6 reacting in Voice Mode.

Above are things that MacOS are telling me they should happen, but there is no physical display brightness dimming when doing so.