Trying to upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.7 on my Inspiron 1520

chrisj

No, the "-" isn't required. 

But as you didn't require any of these boot flags before, I can't see you needing them now.

Sounds like either your hard disk is failing, or something changed on your SATA controller. Maybe the update replaced the driver?

Are you replacing your /Extra directly after the combo update, before you restart the computer? For example, you would do the following when updating:

1. Backup /Extra

2. Install combo update, do not reboot

3. Replace /Extra

4. Run myHack for a full myFix

5. Reboot

Also, if you have to use a patched SATA controller kext, the combo update would replace your current, and would give you this error. You may need to replace it with a compatible one directly after the combo update installs and before you reboot.

I cannot help you finding a compatible patched SATA kext. I don't require one, so I've never had to look for one. Your best bet would be googling "OSx86 10.6.7 patched IOATAFamily" and trial/error them until you find one that works. 

You may have to reinstall, but try pulling out the "IOATAFamily" kext from /System/Library/Extensions before you update to 10.6.7 and then putting it back into /System/Library/Extensions after you update to 10.6.7 and before you reboot. (This will replace the one from the update with the one that you know works.)

Also, not knowing the machine specifications, finding you any kind of files for your machine would be very difficult indeed. You never know, OSXLatitude may have a similar machine in their EDP that might work. ;)

I pullied out the "IOATAFamily" kext  rom /System/Library/Extensions and /Extra before I updated to 10.6.7 and then put them back into /System/Library/Extensions after I updated to 10.6.7 and before I rebooted.

Rebooted and it hung again.