Dell Latitude 5290: screen resolution issue with USB-c output

pulleyluke

Hey everyone, Ive got a hackintosh machine that I've made that runs great, its a Dell Latitude 5290, Core i3 - 8130U, Ive managed to get everything working on the latest opencore 1.0.1 and previously was running Sonoma and have updated to Sequoia with no problems, except one!

At work I have the laptop plugged into a HP USB C Dock G5, which has a 1440p monitor, mouse and keyboard all connected, everything seems to work, Mac OS identify's the monitor correctly and even has the correct connection type, my issue is that I can only run the monitor at 1080p, its picked up correctly as a 1440p monitor but if the resolution is set any higher than 1080p the monitor remains blank and says there is no input, but setting the monitor to 1080p works fine.

This problem was happening on Sonoma as well, also when I connect the dock to a real mac everything works perfectly at 1440p, also when I boot Linux or Windows on the Dell the monitor works fine as well.

Also I should note I've also been successfully building an EFI for a Dell Latitude 7390, and it has the exact same issue as my 5290.

I should also add that plugging the monitor into the laptop's HDMI port allows it to work completely fine at 1440p, but if I use a usb-c to hdmi or usb-c to displayport I get the same issue as I get when using the docking station.

Any help would be really appreciated thanks!

Sorry for the late response, my EFI is posted here:
https://github.com/lukeshondas/Dell-Latitude-5290-Opencore/tree/main

and here are the IOreg screenshots of anything that might be helpful.

I think the cause might be down to VRAM, so what Jake said might be worth trying.

1080p DOCK.png

1440p Direct HDMI.png

1440p DOCK.png

Sorry, Just Realised i forgot to name the screenshots.

The first one is the dock with 1440p monitor running at 1080p

Second is the 1440p running at 1440p out of the laptops HDMI port.

and last is the 1440p monitor "running" at 1440p via the dock.