D430 and mSata hard drive

ddiego

Pretty certain. I compared the connector for the standard hard drive and the connector for the adapter and the cable orientation, and made certain to do it the same way. 

So, unless the adapter connector wants the cable inserted upside-down to the way the hard drive connector wants the cable, I got it right.

With the hard drive or adapter board on the table, and the connector on top of the hard drive or on top of the adapter board, the cable goes into the connector with the exposed conductors on the underside (facing down) of the ribbon cable. Correct?

The M500s are already on the way. If they don't work, then I'll try the cable upside down.  There is a risk that trying the cable upside down could apply power where it should not, although that should not be possible if the flex cable connector only has conductors on one side.   I'm not sure about that though.  They might have conductors on both sides.

Repeat after me, "Herve is usually right...."

I had the cable upside down. I felt pretty confident I had them right-side-up because I was careful to connect them the same way as with working hard drives. But...

The Crucial M500s shipped with Amazon Prime did not arrive today, but should have. Probably get here tomorrow. In the meantime, Herve's suggestion kept reverberating in my brain. After reversing the cable orientation, the laptop saw the SSD with Sintech adapter. I should have been able to figure it out from the photos that ddiego posted. Slaps forehead.

I am almost done installing Win7 on it as a test. OS X will have to wait for this weekend.

Given that I tried it with the cable wrong a few days ago, apparently connecting the cable backwards will not fry the adapter, nor the SSD. I'm pretty sure I've read at least one review where someone claimed that having the cable backwards fried their adapter or SSD.

It has been six months and I'm still enjoying the mSata experience on my D430.  While I wish the unit were a bit faster, the bang for the buck can't be beat.  With nearly 1000 views for this string I'd expect that more than a few have tried this upgrade.  If you have upgraded to an mSata SSD please post your experiences here and share the results.

Ok, I'm game to try this with my dual boot (windows 7 and OSX SL) d430 with a 120GB 1.8" HD. Looking at the Plextor 256 GB mSATA SSD and this adapter.

1. Can I use the image creation and restore from my iHack Mac disc utility to make an image of the entire 120GB disk and recover the full dual boot plus the boot loader? or will it only handle the mac side?

2. My current ZIF is a 120 GB, but I'd like to do a 256 GB SSD. If I can image the original file and restore it, what will happen with the additional 120GB?

Will it just be unallocated space?

What if I wanted to split the additional space to my 2 dual boot partitions so I had 2 x 128GB instead of 2 x 60GB. Any way to add that space to the other two partitions or will I have to partition the way I want first, then restore the two images somehow?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

In your particular case, you should make 2 separate images: 1 of Windows partition and 1 of Mac OS X partition. If you made a complete HDD image, then you would get the same partitioning arrangement, which is not what you want.

For Windows, regular ghosting tools can be used from bootable CD/USB keys to make an image of the Win partition that you would then restore to the new and larger partition of your SSD drive.

For OS X you could indeed boot your OS X installer and make an image of your existing installation for subsequent restoration to the new and larger partition of your SSD drive.