unable to set sata operation to AHCI on d820

kallumama

I created a third partition of type NTFS and tried to install win7 on it but got this message:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. This hard disk space is formatted with an unsupported version of the NTFS file system....Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system partition(ESP).

How do I get around this?

OK Herve, No double posts.

Your instruction is SO SIMPLE. It worked great. I was able to install win7 on partition 3.

However, I ran into trouble while trying to restore the chamelon boot menu.

I followed the instructions at https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2913-windows-7-and-mac-os-x-dual-boot/&do=findComment&comment=22359 . I booted to windows and did:

diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 2 <---- MACOS partition, the one after the EFI partition
active
reboot

On reboot, I got "Missing operating system"

I don't remember the sequence of things I tried after this error but I tried these:

- repair your computer using win7 CD

- set and unset boot flag on the partition of various partitions using gparted (from hirens boot cd)

I finally booted thru the myHack installer drive and reinstalled chameleon on /. Now, I am able to boot into macos. When I go to disk utility, the EFI partition has become visible and it is being shown as FAT32. I dont think that is right. The EFI partition should be hidden in disk utility. When I look at the EFI partition on a different mac os VM, its type is EFI

Do you know what I did wrong while restoring chameleon boot menu?

I was having problems with the bad EFI partition e.g. disk utility won't let me shrink my mac partition etc.

I decided to format my drive and start from scratch.

To get dual boot working, I installed the windows first and then the mac. The detailed steps are:

Step 3: Setting up the hard drive on the new Hackintosh

Before we can install either Mac OS X or Windows we need to Partition the Hard drive so that Windows and OS X both are bootable from chameleon bootloader.

3.a Next you will want to boot off of the USB stick we just prepared by hitting F12 as the System starts and selecting the USB Stick. A boot loader will come up and you will have the option to select "Install OS X". Select it and the mountain lion installer will load. You then Click the Arrow.

3.b On the next screen, click Utilities and go to Disk Utility.

3.c In Disk Utility first click the Hard Drive we are installing to (the Hard drive, not the Partitions under it if any). Then set the Partition Layout to 2 Partitions. In this guide I am dividing the drive 50/50 for Windows and OS X, but you can change the size of either partition to whatever you want.

Click on Options and make sure it is set to GUID Partition Table. Name the Top Partition "Macintosh HD" and change the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Name the bottom Partition "BOOTCAMP" and set the format to MS-DOS (FAT). Then Click Apply.

3.d Once it is finished formatting the Hard Drive, Power Off the System.

Step 4. Installing The Operating Systems

Now that the Hard drive is formatted the way we need it, it's time to install the Operating systems.

4.a To get the computer to boot both or the operating systems from the boot loader, we need to start with windows. Insert your Windows DVD and boot from it. It will load the regular Windows installer. When you get to the option of upgrade or Custom (advanced) click Custom (advanced)

4.b Next click on your "BOOTCAMP" Partition and select Drive Options. Click Format and then Next. Windows will now start to install. The computer will restart once or twice throughout the installation. from this point on its just a regular windows installation. To save time I am assuming you know how to set up windows.

4.c Get your windows set up how you like and install all of the Drivers.

4.d Now that windows is ready to go restart your computer and boot off your prepared USB Stick once again. Select "Install OS X" when the option appears. When it finished booting into the installer click the arrow, then next and accept the agreement until it asks you where to install OS X. Select "Macintosh HD" and click install.

`