Speedstep stopped working

bobdamnit

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chameleon rev 667 brings speedstep back. I lost battery meter, but I'm positive I can bring that back with EDP. I've been running for a whole day, in and out of sleep, and reboots galore and speedstep seems to be working all the time now.

I know now why this happened. I installed EDP 1.8 but did not install the new version of Chameleon. While browsing EDP 1.8, I saw that you guys had packaged EDP with a new version of Chameleon. I figured it was alright to update, and that the bootloader wouldn't make that much of a difference. It never really did in Leopard.

Perhaps support two bootloaders in EDP? Revision 667 as a guarantee and whatever you guys have been testing recently? I would certainly be willing to test bootloaders to see what benefits everyone the best. In fact, I might just do that anyway, and report back for you guys what worked best/worst for me.

• Administrators

Actually, we are putting together a test group so that we can elimate bugs before future releases.. you have to remember that we support alot of diffrent models, but only have the people here to test it :)

If you havent allready, shoot a mail to [email protected] to join out team

Actually, we are putting together a test group so that we can elimate bugs before future releases.. you have to remember that we support alot of diffrent models, but only have the people here to test it :)

If you havent allready, shoot a mail to [email protected] to join out team

Actually, I did. I have a D520, and like I said in the email, I have a spare laptop. (Its a MacBook Pro. Hackintosh is more or less a hobby lol) So I'm not too concerned about destroying this laptop, and am completely willing to basically donate this machine to testing.

If I could, I'd love to claim the D520 slot lol.

Alright, the problem came back.

On boot, whether on charger, or battery, CPU starts out at 1.6 Ghz. If I add/remove the charger, it will automatically drop to 996 Mhz. Coolbook is working properly, and will run through the CPU states.

Getting frustrated, I removed Coolbook completely. (Kext in /S/L/E also.) I started looking into alternate SpeedStep solutions. I found VoodooPower.kext, EnhancedIntelSpeedStep.kext, and VoodooPowerMini.kext.

EnhancedIntelSpeedStep.kext and VoodooPower.kext caused KP.

VoodooPowerMini.kext when installed into /S/L/E functions as expected. PstateMenu is showing me that SpeedStep is working, and TempMonitorLite is showing me that CPU is at a cool 45*C. When running GeekBench, it immediately jumps up to 60+, but Pstate Menu is also showing me that CPU speeds have increased.

Pstate Menu selections are working also. I can set my CPU to any state I want, or let VoodooPowerMini take over and step it down. Even without Pstate Menu, CPU temps are low, fan speeds are WAY down, and videos are no longer choppy when I yank the power cord out.

So far, so good. I don't know if anyone has tried VPM.kext, but its working decently for me.

(Seems to have broken sleep. Removing Pstate kext fixes it.)

well this has been working for me,,, i put the app in applications folder and added it to logon items so that it starts on boot

Yeah, I got it working also. But it doesn't work if you don't have some form of SpeedStep control. Apple's, which runs WAY hot. Coolbook, which for some reason just doesn't work for me, or some other 3rd party kext. (EnhancedIntelSpeedStep.kext, VoodooPower.kext, or VoodooPowerMini.kext)

VoodooPowerMini seems to be working alongside that package. I thought the two of them were breaking sleep. Sleep worked, and it woke up and even the screen woke up, but nothing was ever displayed. No login screen, nothing. I had forgotten that I installed something called "VoodooMonitor", and between the three, some odd things were happening. Removing that fixes sleep, and now I have full SpeedStep control.

Like I said, VoodooPowerMini seems to be working. It just doesn't work from inside Extra/Extensions. (Dont know why, but doesn't load.)

• Administrators

then try a different smbios.plist. i am using macbook2,1 because it is similar to my d620 hardware wise... Graphics /processor family. if you open the contents of coolbook you will see a list of supported macs in the plist file