OSX Lion on D630

Duscrom

• Administrators

You can select max. frequency with PState drop-down menu, but that's not really the best way to run a EIST capable laptop (for obvious heat/battery/fan reasons). I find emulated SpeedStep on-demand mode to work rather well, including manual frequency selection.

A few questions:

• which exact CPU model do you have (e.g. T7500) ?
  • did you configure your BIOS settings as per recommended way, especially the CPU settings?
  • do you use NullCPUPowerManagement kext in /E/E?
  • what CPU settings are currently selected in your Chameleon boot plist?

You wrote you "tried to unselect the emulated speedstep", what did you do exactly? It's not that straightforward to remove emulated speedstep once it's installed...

Now, if PState is not to your liking, you could also try native SpeedStep (means no use of NullCPUPowerManagement), but that retains the on-demand CPU power functionality...

I have done a fresh install, nothing modded yet. My CPU is T7200, What exactly to do when doing a fresh EDP to use the native speedstep? I have used native speedstep on my previous SL installation. 

And for the BIOS settings I have A16 BIOS and setup as in the post here. 

• Administrators

A T7200 in a D630? Mmm, that sounds wrong: the T7200 is FSB667 whereas the D630 takes FSB800 CPUs. You seem to have a D630 with D620 aspects... What does your BIOS say about CPU (min and max frequency)?

If you want native SpeedStep, just don't install NullCPUPowerManagement. You can verify native SpeedStep operation with HWMonitor tool which is found in /Extra/Storage/apps after EDP is installed: you should see the CPU frequency change when you click on the icon in the menu bar. You may need a more recent version of FakeSMC, but that would need to be verified. No harm in trying "as is" anyway...

• Administrators

I'd make sure your hardware is D630, not D620. As Bronxteck said, it's pretty easy to put the button front panel of a D630 on a D620.

• T7200 is a typical D620 CPU
  • laptop reset on wake is a well-known D620 GMA issue when BIOS system password is not set
  • but D620 BIOS stopped at A10 version, D630 BIOS went up to A18...

:wacko:

As I said before, I am sure my laptop is d630, just the CPU replaced with the one from d620 (just a guess, but I am sure it is T7200)

I have setup Lion now I am going to try just tscsync to get rid of speedstep and use native speedstep instead.

• Administrators

D620 has Socket M and uses FSB 667MHz CPUs whereas D630 has Socket P and uses FSB 800MHz CPUs; the CPUs are not interchangeable (I just checked: a T7200 out of a D620 cannot physically fit in the socket of a D630). You really need to know what you have in there, it could just be a low-end FSB800 proc.