Dell E6520 with NVS 4200M on Mavericks (10.9)

sandflee

• Moderators

Never used PCKeyboardHack. Sorry.

Jake,

Have you upgraded to 10.9.2 yet? I lost sound with the upgrade. I tried update the AppleHDA from the following post and also upgraded the Chameleon to r2377.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6302-solved-e6530-update-from-1091-to-1092-lose-sound/

Chameleon r2377 gave me a crash stating Memory Allocation Error. Any idea? I had to start from USB and revert back to r2266.

That's for the Exx30 models. You need this for the Exx20 models. Chameleon r2266 will work.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I'm not alone.   :)  I've been fighting this issue for the past few days ever since I upgraded to 10.9.2.

There must be some kind of conflict with the patched AppleHDA.kext and sandflee's bootpack which what I use as well.  Going back to r2266 allows the system to boot but the sound device is still missing.  The only way to boot into the system with r2377 is to add "HDAEnabler"=No in the boot flags.

I may go back to NVS 4200 and Jake Lo's bootpack temporarily while a working AppleHDA.kext is released.  Thanks to Jake Lo for helping me with troubleshooting this issue over the past couple of days.

• Moderators

Ok, so I'm not alone.   :)  I've been fighting this issue for the past few days ever since I upgraded to 10.9.2.

There must be some kind of conflict with the patched AppleHDA.kext and sandflee's bootpack which what I use as well.  Going back to r2266 allows the system to boot but the sound device is still missing.  The only way to boot into the system with r2377 is to add "HDAEnabler"=No in the boot flags.

I may go back to NVS 4200 and Jake Lo's bootpack temporarily while a working AppleHDA.kext is released.  Thanks to Jake Lo for helping me with troubleshooting this issue over the past couple of days.

You can revert back to r2266, not needed for the new AppleHDA. If you have ACPIBatteryManager, then remove AppleACPIPlatform. This will fix the sound issue with sandflee's bootpack.

You can revert back to r2266, not needed for the new AppleHDA. If you have ACPIBatteryManager, then remove AppleACPIPlatform. This will fix the sound issue with sandflee's bootpack.

I reverted back to r2266, used the new AppleHDA and removed AppleACPIPlatform. During the boot, I got stuck at IOBluetoothHCIController ...

• Moderators

I reverted back to r2266, used the new AppleHDA and removed AppleACPIPlatform. During the boot, I got stuck at IOBluetoothHCIController ...

Try my boot pack from the guide. I added AppleACPIPlatform to my boot pack and it breaks audio, so not sure why removing will kill your system. Boots perfectly without it with my boot pack.

Try my boot pack from the guide. I added AppleACPIPlatform to my boot pack and it breaks audio, so not sure why removing will kill your system. Boots perfectly without it with my boot pack.

Are you referring to Extra-E6520_Opt package?

I tried this but cannot boot wo AppleACPIPlatform. Interesting....

• Moderators

Are you referring to Extra-E6520_Opt package?

I tried this but cannot boot wo AppleACPIPlatform. Interesting....

Just tried your bootpack. You should remove AppleACPIPlatform, AppleACPIPS2Nub, and GenericUSBXHCI.

E6520 don't have USB 3.0 ports so you don't need GenericUSBXHCI. AppleACPIPS2Nub is included in VoodooPS2Controller and AppleACPIPlatform is not needed when using ACPIBatteryManager.

Works fine on my E6420 with Optimus enabled, but not E6520. Will look further.

Yup, same issue as Sandflee. I removed the mentioned kexts one at a time ... and when I removed AppleACPIPlatform I was no longer able to boot. I'm going to try to reinstall the 10.9.2. combo update.

For now, I'm sticking with VoodooPS2Controller.kext and the patched AppleHDA.kext. I'm also going to generate a custom SSDT for my i5-2520M vPro CPU. If you guys get any further let me know.

[sOLVED!!!] 10.9.2 no sound issue on E6520 [sOLVED!!!]   :mrgreen:   Using trial & error and major help from JakeLo, I was finally able to isolate the cause of the no sound issue and boot freezes I was running into under 10.9.2.  It was a combination of bad boot options and conflicting kexts.   

Here is what I did to get everything working correctly:

1) Removed AppleACPIPS2Nub, ApplePS2Controller, and GenericUSBXHCIproblematic kexts

2) Added VoodooPS2Controller.kext and JakeLo's patched AppleHDA.kext

3) Edited org.chameleon.boot.plist: a) Changed "Kernel Flags" to "darkwake=0" only, B) removed "device-properties" flag

I also generated a custom SSDT.aml for my processor (3rd Gen i5-2520M 3.2 GHz vPro).  Not sure if it helped resolve the sound issue but it definitely fixed misc boot errors.  I've attached my Extra folder for reference.  Major kudos to JakeLo for helping me with troubleshooting.  I couldn't have done it without him. 

Extra_ElCapitan_E6520_Optimus.zip

• Moderators

[sOLVED!!!] 10.9.2 no sound issue on E6520 [sOLVED!!!]   :mrgreen:   Using trial & error and major help from JakeLo, I was finally able to isolate the cause of the no sound issue and boot freezes I was running into under 10.9.2.  It was a combination of bad boot options and conflicting kexts.   

Here is what I did to get everything working correctly:

1) Removed AppleACPIPS2Nub, ApplePS2Controller, and GenericUSBXHCIproblematic kexts

2) Added VoodooPS2Controller.kext and JakeLo's patched AppleHDA.kext

3) Edited org.chameleon.boot.plist: a) Changed "Kernel Flags" to "darkwake=0" only, B) removed "device-properties" flag

I also generated a custom SSDT.aml for my processor (3rd Gen i5-2520M 3.2 GHz vPro).  Not sure if it helped resolve the sound issue but it definitely fixed misc boot errors.  I've attached my Extra folder for reference.  Major kudos to JakeLo for helping me with troubleshooting.  I couldn't have done it without him. 

Wow, you beat me to it. Same reason I couldn't boot on E6520 but on E6420 is because of different processors. So after switching SSDT, I was able to get it working on E6520 too. You could also remove AppleACPIPlatform, not needed. With the voodooPS2controller, you can scroll with trackstick too.

I'll update my guide too, Optimus now works on both vpro and non-vpro system.