Precision M6300

jruschme

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally found a combination that works: 10.8.5 Installer + Precision M4300 bootpack (including DSDT) + replacement kexts from previous link saved to /E/E.

The installation reports failure due to being unable to set the startup volume, but it still works fine on reboot.

Next stop, EDP build for the M4300...

Thanks all...

Update... I put the two replacement kexts in /E/i/E and EDP picked them up during the M4300 build. Except for needing to add the pci id to the Ethernet driver, everything worked out of the box.

So, on to native SpeedStep... I downloaded the latest FakeSMC.kext and made the changes needed to use the MacBookPro5,1 profile. Everything seems to be working with one exception: With the default FakeSMC, HardwareMonitor was reporting idle CPU temps around 44C. With the replacement, the value seems to be approximately double. This is causing the fan to run constantly, even though the output is nice and cool.

Anybody seen this one before?

Thanks again....

• Administrators

It's not something I've noticed as required with all those recent Kozlek's FakeSMC versions, but you may want to edit the CPU Monitoring PlugIn to manually specify your T9500 Tjmax value (105°C) if the system appears to have a problem detecting it and reporting the correct T°.

I've noticed that the temps seem to be settling down a bit and am starting to thing that I am seeing a combination of background processing and a need to replace the CPU thermal compound. (Which, like everything else with the m6300, looks to be something of a bear.)

Hello

Thank you for your posts and information.  I've been struggling with this for a few days now.  Earlier, you offered to share your working Extra folder, I think that would help me very much!  I'm trying to edit the latest Niresh 10.9 on my M6300 and i've yet to get past the "PCI configuration begin" line in verbose mode.

Please and thanks!

The trick seems to be to have the correct versions of IOPCIFamily and AppleACPIPlatform kexts. So far, the best I've been able to do is 10.8.5.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have enough privilege to upload attachments. If you PM me your email address, I'll see if I can send you the Extra directory from my installer and my running system.