Inspiron 3520 Maverick problems

bobdamnit

Well, I got it installed.

-Wireless worked out of the box.

-Touchpad/Keyboard worked with this: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/

-Audio worked with VoodooHDA 2.8.2 (No mic support at all.)

-Power Management is working great

-Sleep is not working (Sleep or hibernation)

-Shutdown/Reboot works

But my display adapter isn't working. Like I said, its an Intel HD 3000. Here is what I am getting. It isn't loading a kext for my graphics card.:

t0ixLJX.png

Here is the output of lspci:

Bobs-MacBook-Pro:~ bobdamnit$ lspci -nn
pcilib: 0000:00:02.0 64-bit device address ignored.
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller [8086:0104] (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 [8086:1e3a] (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1e2d] (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20] (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1e10] (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 4 [8086:1e16] (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1e26] (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller [8086:1e5d] (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Panther Point 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:1e03] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller [8086:1e22] (rev 04)
07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002a] (rev 01)

All stock video kexts are in /S/L/E. I have none in /E/E.

What I have tried:

-GraphicsEnabler=Yes

-GraphicsEnabler=No

-Updating Chameleon to latest svn

-Setting SMBIOS as MacBook Pro 8,1

-Setting SMBIOS as MacBook Pro 8,3

Nothing has worked. Can anyone take a look and give me a hand? If you need more information, I can provide it. Thanks!

Ok, after doing some research, I tried editing my DSDT because all signs seemed to point towards me doing this.

I used the following edits:

# 07_MEI_4x40s_Sandy.txt

into device label PCI0 insert

begin

Device (IMEI)\n

{\n

Name (_ADR, 0x00160000)\n

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n

{\n

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n

Return (Package()\n

{\n

"device-id",\n

Buffer() { 0x3A, 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00 }\n

})\n

}\n

}\n

end;

And:

# Use this patch if your laptop has the standard 1366x768 screen

#

# Use dual-link if you have 1600x900 or have upgraded

# to 1080p screen.

#

# Inject HDMI info into GFX0/IGPU */

into method label _DSM parent_adr 0x00020000 remove_entry;

into device name_adr 0x00020000 insert

begin

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n

{\n

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n

Return (Package()\n

{\n

"AAPL,snb-platform-id",\n

Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00 },\n

"hda-gfx",\n

Buffer() { "onboard-1" },\n

})\n

}\n

end;

And finally:

# Brightness control fix

into device label PNLF remove_entry;

into scope label \_SB insert

begin

Device (PNLF)\n

{\n

Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))\n

Name (_CID, "backlight")\n

Name (_UID, 0x0A)\n

Name (_STA, 0x0B)\n

}\n

end;

But so far all it has done is break USB and keyboard/touchpad. The system still boots. So now I don't know what to try.

Anyone, please, help me out. This is driving me bonkers!

--Edit--

Sorry for not being a bit more specific. I can get the system to boot "normally" if I drop the DSDT. Normally is everything but video working.

And to add to this, I see in a verbose boot that AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext is not loaded. The exact message is "SNB not showing up, unload".

I get full resolution, no graphics artifacts, and my card is picked up by OS X, but I can't get any advanced graphics properties. SystemReporter always says "No kext loaded", but I believe this to be a framebuffer problem rather than a HD 3000 driver issue.

I have applied the DSDT patches and tried booting with all of them. I would apply a patch, reboot to test, and if it did not work, reinstall. Then apply another patch and repeat the process. I am positive I have gone through all known patches and bootloader options plus any and all combinations of known DSDT patches.

Due to lack of help and active support for this machine, I am reverting back to Mountain Lion.

• Administrators

i think the newest chameleon resolves the last 3 issues with flags instead of dsdt edits. in chameleon wizard look in audio section options of org.chameleon.Boot.plist options should be on the bottom of the list. the other 2 are on the bottom right corner.

maybe they help. also the device id's for HD 3000 where wrong in apples release of 10.9.0 and 10.9.1 if i recall... they had left out the 0x in front of the id in the kext plist. so maybe retry with a fresh 10.9.2 installer i think apple had corrected it there.

That would make sense, as all I had to do was add my device ID to the SNBFramebufferFB kext before and it would work. Doing that now just causes a kernel panic. Chameleon is updated to the latest SVN.

I will admit that I am using 10.9 GM as a test bed. I will grab the 10.9.2 installer from the App Store and give that a shot.

Thanks Bronx!

• Moderators

That would make sense, as all I had to do was add my device ID to the SNBFramebufferFB kext before and it would work. Doing that now just causes a kernel panic. Chameleon is updated to the latest SVN.

I will admit that I am using 10.9 GM as a test bed. I will grab the 10.9.2 installer from the App Store and give that a shot.

Thanks Bronx!

Why not use your ML boot pack but update the kexts? 

Why not use your ML boot pack but update the kexts? 

That essentially is what I did. The only thing that has changed was using the new ALPS touchpad driver, because its miles better than the one I used in Mountain Lion.

I decided to start fresh this morning because I could no longer remember which patches I have applied. Everything works, except Graphics. So all of this is a fresh build. I have NOT modified anything. Also, it is 10.9.0.

This is what I have for Chameleon Wizard:

hoMO5JV.png

Here I reinstalled the latest Chameleon:

bm5cVy9.png

And here is the SMBIOS I'm  using:

byhPLG7.png

So I decided to look into the stock kexts for the HD3000. I found some odd things, to be honest.

Here is the Info.plist from AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

611MGho.png

Bronxteck: The plist is using the "0x" format. Furthermore, it HAS my device ID. I did NOT add that in there.

And here is the contents of AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

YVnc1y4.png

What I find odd here is that there is NO "Info.plist" at all. 

Could that be my problem?

--Edit--

Also, in a verbose boot I see the following, but it will boot after this. It does not hang.

[AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform
SNB not showing up, unload

have you tried using other hd3000 machines for smbios like.

MacMini 5,1/ 5,3

MacBookAir 4,1/ 4,2

Yes. None have worked.

But, I did it!!! I made it work!

ewDRSPu.png

2Jzfj7P.png

Thinking that AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB was the problem, I grabbed the 10.9 installer and pulled out that kext. Then I opened the Info.plist and made the following change:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x1C3A8086</string>

To:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x1E3A8086</string>

Then I renamed the original in /System/Library/Extensions to AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.orig and dropped the modified one in /Extra/Extensions and ran a myFix Quick and rebooted. It came back fully recognized with QE/CI and no artifacts.

Thanks guys! You all have been both awesome and amazingly patient. For posterity, I'm going to upload my /Extra here.

Extra.zip

Nevermind. I updated with the combo update and it went off without a hitch. It did not break audio or graphics!

Definitely a guide coming up!