[Guide] E7440 with Clover

pokenguyen

@Jake

Thank you, everything worked perfectly after that using your guide. I booted into the OS installed drivers etc and got everything up and running UNTIL I tried to fix iMessages and followed this guide on Reddit https://redd.it/2wohwnI did all the steps and used repair via diskutility to Run repair and fix permissions.

Now when I switch on the system and try to boot OSX via the main HD partition it gives me a stop sign instead of the Apple logo. I then restart the system again and from clover bootloader choose the option of booting OSX from Recovery HD - this takes me to the OS then. Any idea what went wrong? Is there an easy fix or shall I re-format and install the whole thing again?

I fixed it by re-installing clover and repeating your post-install steps for the Latitude - El Capitan guide.

All is fine except I can't get the headphone jack to produce any sound, internal speakers are fine but as soon as I plug in headphones there is no sound. Though System Preference > Sound detects that a headphone is plugged in.

Hi All, 

I have spoken Jake using PM about an issue I have with my E7440 which gets annoying. I used Jake's instruction to the letter for installing El Capitan. But its better to rephrase it and share it in this topic so other users can benefit from it as well. 

I think that because of an unknown reason my kextcache is changing. As Jake already mentioned, on the fly patching of kexts needs proper kextcache working. I don't know why but once a while my Hackintosh simply doesn't want to boot up into the GUI anymore. When i boot into Single User mode and do a kext prelinked kernel rebuild and or permissions repair / sometimes i'm lucky and I can enter the glitchy GUI. I do a full repair with kextbuild as instructed in the guide as:  sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E* ..... until ..... sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

After rebooting the Hack is working fine. At least one reboot after these commands will go ok until the GUI in most cases. However when i shutdown the hack i need to be lucky to get it booted to the GUI next time. I think that booting first to windows (on mSATA) will almost definitely break the boot possibility to the GUI of El Capitan which is installed on a normal SATA SSD. I don't know what the relation can be but the UEFI Bios "Knows" windows boot because it adds an Entry in the boot options of the UEFI Bios of the E7440. Maybe windows is messing the UEFI even more preventing the Hack to boot? When i leave the E7440 in sleep and use it when i need it i can use it for weeks. However this issue is a pain in the ... 

• What is best for this laptop UEFI or Legacy? I noticed also, right from the install instructions Clover creates an EFI folder to disk0s2 (the normal installation partition of El Capitan) instead of using disk0s1. I can move the content to disk0s1 (EFI) and its working fine from there but its strange.
  • I see also in this topic sometimes the 4 Library Extensions Kexts : AppleHDA_ALC292, CodecCommander, DisableTurboBoostBattery, EAPDFix to be installed in System Library Extensions ... What is the right / best place?

See my config attached and picture of the last line when booting. First flash at boot is noticed but 2nd flash when the actual GUI needs to be displayed / initialised fails ... but the hack is pingable from another Hack.

Any ideas? Thanks for helping me!

EFI.zip

• Moderators

Try this since you have dual boot with Windows

- go to EFI\EFI\Microsoft\Boot and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

- go to EFI\EFI\CLOVER\ and copy CLOVERX64.efi file to EFI\EFI\Microsoft\Boot, rename it to bootmgfw.efi

Try this since you have dual boot with Windows

...., rename it to bootmgfw.efi

It creates an extra entry in clover. To be honest I would even clean it from the Clover EFI. If I like to boot windows just press F12 and select mSata. Is that even better?

What about  Legacy - GUID Scheme.? My thinking is that it will eliminate possible EFI changes from OS to enter in Bios of E7440.

Windows is not my concern. I can reinstall it too in Legacy mode. But I'm almost sure it has to do something with corrupting the kextcache. 

I can recover from my problem by doing the following:

1) Boot in Single User Verbose Mode

fsck -fy 
mount -uw /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

2) reboot and in Glitchy OSX I can execute:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
   sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
   sudo touch -f /L*/E*
   sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
   sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
   sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
   sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

3) Reboot again and after this El Capitan works great on the Dell E7440 however after a shutdown and power on most cases will end up in failing to go to the GUI, 

What the hell happens here ... I'm Lost .... The golden tip will be rewarded by 25 euro by paypal (I'm not sure if thats allowed here at OSX Latitude and otherwise i will donate it to the website)

I found also issues using mSATA in the mSATA slot. (comment clay shooter 5th post)

Yesterday I found also a comment by someone, can't find it anymore, that he needed to install windows on SATA and El Capitan on mSATA because he couldn't get it working in the other way I have (I have windows on mSATA and El Capitan on SATA however now I only have SATA in use for El Capitan take out the msata SSD). There are issues with using both storage options. How do you guys use the E7440 with which storage options ?

Please help me with this.