Fan is always on

ubuntu2014

Oke, make sense but why does it work under windows a lot better, the temperatures are quite similar on cpu and gpu .

In windows the fan doesn't work that much, and in osx it working nonstop.

I'am not complaining with this cheap osx86  butt i want to solve this

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fan actually turns off in Windows? Wow!

So in Mac, the fan stays at high speed when idle? Then that's a problem.

Mine with Mavericks is at a very low speed at idle and I can't even hear it.

You said your SMBIOS/SMC version is Mac Pro... did you mean Macbook Pro? I think that's the recommended one.

Yes is macbook pro 5.1

I have tried several others with chameleon wizard.

No good result or the cpu wasn't seen right (clock speed example) or my gpu speed was only @ 168 mhz.

(I think i have to learn to live with this as posted as  m3mb3...)

Have a look at this:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1814-i8kkext-io-kit-driver-for-dell-fan/?p=14913

It allows you to set pre-defined temperatures for the fan/fan speed. For example, you can set in the plist to have the fan shut off at 40*C, run at minimum when it hits 45*C and go full speed at 55*C. I used it on my D520 and it worked beautifully.

Have you followed the performance tuning article?

http://www.osxlatitude.com/tuning-performance-with-fakesmc-smbios-plist/

I've tried many different combinations and found the following items to be of critical importance:

Run EDP and in the CPU/Powermanagement tab, select  either nothing or only patch AppleIntel.... I don't think it makes a difference.

When EDP is done, reboot then download the FakeSMC from the article and edit it as described.

Delete the unwanted files from /Extra as described int the article. Running EDP always installs a new IntelCPU kext which should be deleted

Run MyFix full.

Set the MacBook pro 5.1 in the smbios.plist using chameleon wizard (as you have done)

Using chameleon wizard, make sure that

a. 32-bit kernel is NOT selected. Nvidia graphics should use 64-bit kernel.

b. generate P-State, C-state, enable C1-C4 are selected

Thanx all, i have done all recommendations and now it seems to work as it should, (pretty the same as in windows with light higher temps= no issue )

I must have missed something during the time because in mine opinion i have done nothing else different before the first time.

Kind regards to all.............