is Lion worth it?

ptesone

So, after running Lion on my iMac and D620 for a while I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to use Launch Pad or Mission Control, let alone buy a new Trackpad and so I can learn a bunch of useless gestures that I'm never going to use. . .

and let's face it, no matter how hard Apple tries to push IOS on to us and push us up into the Cloud, the more I realize how little I need the new changes and once again, how much further they slip away from what used to make Apple computers so great- which was: "it just works". Now, it's like they've changed their motto: "it just updates", and it seems like we all struggle to just try and keep up with all the new updates. I mean, how long has Snow Leopard been out anyway?

Just my 2 cents. . .

• Administrators

actually it seems the whole osx thing is getting stale... it's like every update breaks something else which in turn needs another update to break it more... truthfully it's boring the s#!7 out of me. it almost makes me miss win 7 which that "just works"

I'm actually loving Lion, and all the gestures I can do on this magic trackpad. I ended up getting the trackpad because my D630 trackpad just plain sucks in comparison. And I must say... It's AWESOME!!! What makes it so awesome? Lion does. The biggest difference between Lion and Snow Leopard, are all the multi-touch gestures you can do. So unless you're using these features, of course you'll feel that way. Mind you, this is coming from someone who used to be a hardcore PC enthusiast, and Mac basher. Not only that, but I despised trackpads in general. Not anymore. It took me about 20 minutes to really get the hang of using this magic trackpad to navigate my OS and programs smoothly. (There are a bunch of gestures to remember! i.e. How many fingers needed, direction to swipe, etc..) Now that I have the hang of it... I can never go back. It just works, and it works perfectly. I take advantage of every one of the gestures you can use with the trackpad. Everything I do now just seems so much more efficient. Surfing the interwebs via Safari and coding in Xcode using this thing nearly brings tears of joy to my eyes. Even the reverse scrolling makes sense now. I used to hate it. Now it seems as fluid as using the iPad or iTouch/phone. I love the fullscreen mode in Lion (WTF took so long??), I love the swipe to switch active programs or desktops. The text selection is smoother and easier than ever. Maybe I'm loving it more than usual, because the trackpad on the D630, was like using a ball style mouse with tons of gunk stuck in it.

So before you really decide Lion is boring, not much different than its predecessors, or even not as nice to use as Windows 7, I highly recommend checking the Magic trackpad out in Lion. You'll be surprised how different and awesome the experience will be. Buy it, try it, learn the gestures, and if you by some chance are able to switch back because you don't like it... You can always return it. I'm so excited about the damn thing, I almost want to record a video of me using it to do my thing, so I can show you how awesome it is. Watch some demos or whatever. :)

So yeah... Bottom line about Lion.. If you're not using it to its fullest capabilities, you're just not doing it right. :P

Thanx Klex, thanx for sharing your Lion experience. I've been thinking about getting a magic trackpad for my imac, my wife has an ipad 2 so I kinda know some of the gestures.

Now, I just need to get an extra $70 rounded up here. . .

At this point in time, I would say stick with Snow Leopard. The compatibility is much better as of now, and it runs way more smoother than Lion, even if Snow Leopard doesn't have iCloud. It is also way more smooth on the Hackintosh community, but that will improve as times go on.