[Guide] Dell Latitude E6430 with Yosemite 10.10 (14A389)

dunghv

When I connect an external monitor via the VGA port and switch to that monitor using FN-F8, I get garbled output on the external monitor while the screen on my laptop is black. When I switch back to the laptop screen, it is also garbled. If I put the laptop to sleep and wake it up again, the laptop screen is back to normal. Any thoughts on getting the external monitor working? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Bought a HDMI-to-(male)VGA cable & plugged in, now FN-F8 does nothing. Tried going into display settings but no additional displays are connected; also tried rebooting, shutting down completely & rebooting but still no go.

I'm running the guide from here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7461-guide-dell-latitude-e6430-with-yosemite-1010-14a389/

My specs are E6430 A12 with CPU IVB, I7-3740QM, 2.7GHz, 8gb RAM, 128SSD running Yosemite 10.10.1.

Optimus is enabled & the nVidia card is disabled via Chameleon to save on power and temperature.

Intel HD4000 video running @ 1300x900 with brightness controls working properly.

• Moderators

krustal,

His system only has the HD 4000, no discrete card nvs 5200. Your system, the HDMI are linked to the nvs5200 card. So with Optimus enabled, nvs5200 disabled, all external display are disabled. 

If you want to use external display like HDMI video, you'll need to disable Optimus and use the nvidia card.