Latitude e7440 Installer Boot loop

aeroz51

Typing in cp /Volumes/Install_OS_X_Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Macintosh_SSD/System/library/Kernels

Keep getting an error...cp /Volumes/Install_OS_X_Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/kernel : No such file or directory

I am not very familiar on how to browse directories on OSX thru terminal so I can try to view the contents of the hard drive and usb. Any Suggestions?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Same as in most OS: 'cd' command to change directory. Use 'ls' to list files.

For instance:

cd /Volumes/Install_OS_X_Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels

ls -la

Watch that target path in your 'cp' command. You write 'library' when it must be a capital 'L'...

• Moderators

in terminal, type in diskutil list
Verify that you did name your USB Installer as Install_OS_X_Yosemite
In my guide, it's Install OS X Yosemite without underscores.

If it shows as the same as mine, then make sure to put quotes around it like this

cd /Volumes/"Install OS X Yosemite"/System/Library/Kernels

or you could use backward slash like this

cd /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels

Thanks for the info Jake Lo...  I typed in the copy path that you posted in your previous post, cp /Volumes/"Install OS X Yosemite"/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/"Macintosh SSD"/System/library/Kernels

No errors, just brought me back to the -bash prompt.  I believe that it copied it over.  I rebooted - selected to boot from Macintosh SSD to finish install, Apple log flashed and went into boot loop. 

• Moderators

Make sure you have the correct version of patched haswell Kernel as the version you're installing. 10.10.2 Haswell kernel for Yosemite 10.10.2 or 10.10.1 Haswell kernel for 10.10.1.

Make sure md5 sum of patched 10.10.2 = e4aa23f5631743e604b8ace247a15db4

or md5 sum of patched 10.10.1 = eb21ca4bd7aba97d5e7b080a481fc173

I used Haswell 10.10.2 on usb installer.  Now I can't get to the installer.  I was typing graphicsenabler=no -x maxmem=4096 to load it, now this won't work. This is all I get:  (This was happening before... using graphicsenabler=no -x maxmem=4096 would start installer though)

IMG_0959.jpg