I don't know what I'm doing wrong with E6500 and OS X El Capitan

mergesoft

I built the USB from scratch using insanely mac tool. Put it on top USB port on right. Got the "Still waiting for root device". Immediately unplugged USB and back into USB port at righ bottom. Got apple logo, for about 2 mm of progress bar. Then 1 minute of Rainbow Circle cursor, then language selection screen.

Hah!

Now trackpad is not working. USB mouse not working either. Anything I can do here? Or should I try to use keyboard to install El Capitan?

EDIT - This is ridiculous. All of a sudden after 6 tries of consistent behavior of reaching Language Selection screen, now I'm getting "en0: channel change to 1". I did NOT make ANY changes to the USB. Huh?!?!?!?!

Inconsistent behavior was because I was using the patched DSDT by Herve. I think I need to do that later?
In any case, I used the DSDT from original poster and now I always hit the language screen.
Also I used ApplePS2Controller instead of the VoodooPS2Controller/Keyboard/Mouse posted by original author. Now I have mouse and keyboard  B)

I'm about ready to install El Capitan. I'm trying to install on Micron SSD. Curious problem - Disk Utility not allowing me to formate the drive. Says, it is not journaled, so please enable journaling. However in the menu, that option is disabled ?!?!?!?!

Is my problem I'm trying to install to unsupported SSD and OS X does not like it?

I did try that. Basically I tried everything. Even formatted it FAT32. It will let me do everything but let me format for MAC. Thing is I reused my USB to build El Capitan stick. Going to get another USB stick today build it for Yosemite, and use it just to see if I can format the drive, and then switch to El Capitan stick (don't want to have to keep building sticks).

Okay so finally got around to it. Put my Yosemite USB and formatted drive. Then used El Capitan USB and installed to HD. then booted of USB and then switched to HD and used -v. It stuck at the "en0 to en1 message" for a long time, then finally gave me apple logo, but progress bar will not budge and mouse is frozen. So tried -v, -f. Bingo !!! Got Country Selection Screen. Installed El Capitan !!!

Installed Enoch on the hard disk. Still cannot boot with just -v. Hangs at Bluetooth now. Need to rebuild cache...??? My kexts are still in Extra and I think Enoch should take from there...hmm... KextUtility is not doing the trick for rebuiding cache. Still have to use -f and it boots real quick. I think this can wait till a bit later.

Right now trying to get Ethernet working. It is stuck on en2. Deleted preferences and network plists and got it on en0, but the kexts in the original pack not doing the trick. Tried AppleIntelE1000e which was what I used in Yosemite. No dice. HOWEVER, since Ethernet at en0, I can use Wifi and I can sign into to AppStore. Yippee!

Edited this post

My problem was I should not have taken any of the kexts in the original pack on this post. I simply used my Yosemite kexts and most of my problems went away. I'm removing the attachment, since it is irrelevant now. 

Ethernet Works fixing permissions the old fashioned way. Disk Util Fix Permissions + touch S/L/E and reboot.

USB Inject works - just need to remember not to reboot with USB Stick still plugged in. I also installed Herve's HWSensors patch

I cannot believe I have El Capitan perfectly working !!! (except SD Card, of course). AND I used a SSD, and also have TRIM working.  I'm going to redo the entire process with Dual Boot. Prior to that I will try applying 10.11.4 update - manual download and not through AppStore as I have previously learnt the hard way. However, even if that barfs, I'm good with 10.11.3

Before I that I will try upgrading to 10.11.4, but even if that botches my install, I'll still have 10.11.3 working as well as it should.

10.11.4 upgrade successfully worked. Trying to reinstall. Getting stuck again at "en0: channel changed to 1". This happened earlier as well, until suddenly it went through...have to keep trying again  :?

Done. Everything works like in Yosemite  :-P

Can you summarize all that you did in a short guide to get everything working?

I have one e6400 running Mavericks 10.9.5 perfectly (sleep, TRIM, SD card, CD/DVD, USB etc.). I have another e6400 I want to get El Capitan on. I believe the difference between the e6400 and e6500 is basically just screen size, so whatever tricks you came up with for El Capitan install should probably also work for the e6400.

I just followed instructions in the order in this post with some changes.

First I took mergesoft's "pack". the DSDT is good, but the kexts are not. The kexts are what you used for Mavericks Yosemite. Like advised by Herve and bronxtech. Just start with FakeSMC and ApplePS2Controller, then add remaining kexts after install to /S/L/E. /E/E does not work well.

To get USB working I used Herve's post.

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to install El Cap on my E6500, and I've been trying to figure it out for a few hours. My head is spinning...

This question may seem silly, but what "Tool" are you using to create the USB? The OP linked to someone using myHack, but that does not seem to exist after OS X 10.9. I guess there are files in the "Extra" folder that reference Chameleon, so I assume that Chameleon is being used. I saw that you used an Insanelymac tool, was that this? Either way, that tool is no longer available for download.

I tried downloading Enoch, but I'm not sure exactly how to configure it. It seems like it should go in the EFI partition?

In the "Customize" menu of the installer, do I need to make any selections? How exactly do I use the Extra folder? Do I just put it on the root of the EFI partition? And I should remove all kexts but FakeSMC and ApplePS2Controller? Are there any particular versions of these two kexts that I should have? When you say add remaining kexts after install, are you referring to the installation of El Cap? I should run through the installer and then place the other kexts on the system? Will I just add certain kexts as needed, or is there a good list for this specific laptop?

Thanks.

Also, I saw Hervé recommended to try Mavericks with myhack and then upgrade, maybe I should do that...