[SOLVED] E6420 Postinstallation Problem - no Bootloader found

burzlbaum

Hi there!

First of all, im not a native Speaker so im sorry if i can't explain my problems in an understanding way. Im new here because i've been told u are the best for Latitudes. I already use an hackintosh Desktop (very easy hardware) and an Lenovo G500. Both went well with a little help. Still far away of beeing "good" with Clover and the other stuff :)

Well i decided to get my wife a Dell latitude e6420 (14" 1600x900 mit i5-2520M, HD3000, 16GB RAM) and im pretty sure i did everything as jake los Guide told me. I also used the Note 1 Information and set the Bios Settings to the recommended for e6220

Installation went well but after i tried to set the bootloader with Clover to the SSD the dell wont start (white "_" blinking on black screen). Shouldnt be a problem, maybe i set something wrong... i wanted to boot again with my stick and there was no SSD... only the Installation Stick, Recovery HD, Clover EFI and last bootet device... Never had that Problem on my other PCs (well they are UEFI) there were even the Windows Data Harddrives listed... 

Tried a few new installations - at my last i just did not set ANY bootloader and i got the same issue with my cloverstick. 

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

burzlbaum

Update:

I did a Bios Update from A06 or A08 (dont remember) to A23 and made a new USB Installstick, like i did them usually. Was able to Install, and know i do see my OSX SSD in Clover everytime i start with the Stick. 

But im still not able to get Clover booting the OSX SSD.

I did every Step in Post-Installation and used the Bootflags

Install Clover in the ESP

Bootloader/Install boot0af in MBR
CloverEFI/CloverEFI 64-bits SATA
Install RC scripts on target volume
Install Clover Preference Pane

The EFI Folder is on the Harndrive and i put the config.plist and DSDT from the ZIP into it... also copied the kexts into 10.11 and Other.

Any Ideas to get my Bootloader working?

Dear Burzlbaum,

I also installed OSX on my E6420 (14" 1600x900, 8GB RAM, i7 2670QM) yesterday and ran into the exact same problem. What I did was reinstall Clover with the settings for the USB and copied the EFI map from the USB stick. This instantly worked for me and hope it works for you aswell!

Greetings

• Like 1

Update:

I did a Bios Update from A06 or A08 (dont remember) to A23 and made a new USB Installstick, like i did them usually. Was able to Install, and know i do see my OSX SSD in Clover everytime i start with the Stick. 

But im still not able to get Clover booting the OSX SSD.

I did every Step in Post-Installation and used the Bootflags

Install Clover in the ESP

Bootloader/Install boot0af in MBR

CloverEFI/CloverEFI 64-bits SATA

Install RC scripts on target volume

Install Clover Preference Pane

​The EFI Folder is on the Harndrive and i put the config.plist and DSDT from the ZIP into it... also copied the kexts into 10.11 and Other.

Any Ideas to get my Bootloader working?

I manage to fix the same issue yesterday by removing the CoreStorage partition.

How I fixed it?

"My disk was formatted using CoreStorage (it seems to be the default, for supporting FusionDrive), and it has to be disabled in order to boot in Legacy mode." You can verify this by using command diskutil list. You will see that there is a additional Disk1 created automatically which is causing this problem. We need to remove that partition.

The solution was to revert it, apply following command:

diskutil corestorage revert /dev/disk1

Now restart computer. Mount your EFI folder of HDD and Delete any content of EFI folder (if there is anything) and re-install clover on HDD. Remove USB from the laptop, restart computer now and clover should boot fine from your HDD.

More details is available on this post: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8668-e6420-el-capitan-cant-boot-from-hdd/&do=findComment&comment=56251

@ecpowers thanks for ur reply! Thought i already tested so i tried the sahilsaids advice first

@sahilsaid
ur my hero :-) it worked perfectly for me! Never heard about that issue but it worked...

used in terminal diskutil corestorage revert /dev/disk1[/size]
mounted EFI Partition and erased everything
deleted EFI and EFI Backup Folders on the Harddisk
restarted
Installed Clover with the following settings:

• Install Clover in the ESP
  • Bootloader/Install boot0af in MBR
  • CloverEFI/CloverEFI 64-bits SATA

Put config.plist, DSDT.aml, Kext Folders into the CLOVER Folder on the EFI Partition
restarted
worked :D