[SOLVED] Run macOS Sierra from an external hard drive, possible?

spidey123

Hi guys, I have actually updated to the newest Clover on my internal drive :)  I think I didn't explain myself properly, thats how I finished the Sierra Installation on the External Drive :)  The problem is though, everytime I want to test Sierra I need to go back in to my internal Clover EFI/CLOVER/Kexts and replace the VoodooPS2Controller.kext  and the newer Kext that stops kernel panic, doesn't work well at all in either El Capitan. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

You can also install Clover to your External drive with files for Sierra. When you launch Cloverxx.pkg, select change install location and select the external drive, then customize to set your option. Reboot system.

Select F12 during boot and select boot from your external USB drive and it'll load Clover from that drive.

Worked like a charm Jake Lo :)    Now if I could only figure out how to get the audio working.  I know I need to add the patch with Clover Config, but what I don't know is if the two kexts (AppleHDA and AppleHDAIDT) need any tweaks done to them too and also where to install them.  The way I had it in El Capitan was I had them both installed in my EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other and then AppleHDA was also installed into S/L/E overwriting the Vanilla version.  I never had to install the AppleHDAIDT to S/L/E  Bit puzzled. Going to keep testing.  

• Moderators

AppleHDA should be vanilla in /S/L/E and AppleHDAIDT should be install to /S/L/E or /L/E. Should have layout-id set to 12 or (hex 0x0C) in DSDT or 12 in Config.plist under device/audio. 

If you installed AppleHDA overwriting the vanilla kext and you have audio in El Capitan, then it means you have a patched AppleHDA instead of using the dummyHDA (AppleHDAIDT) + hot patches in Config.

• Administrators

Patched AppleHDA kexts from older versions such as Mavericks or Yosemite worked in El Capitan. This no longer applies with Sierra. So you'll have to patch Sierra vanilla AppleHDA or use the IDT definition kext + Clover on-the-fly patches described by Jake.

Ok thanks guys.  I'll see if I can remember how to patch my AppleHDA from Sierra.  I patched my own before, its been a while so I have to re-read how to do it.  Or just add the patch with clover config and install the AppleHDAIDT kext into S/L/E   Again thanks for the help guys.