[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 10.12.4 initial mouse freezing

spidey123

Hey guys, well just finished updating to 10.12.4 on my other Dell, the Inspiron 3542 and unlike the Latitude e6420 the update worked and installed without issues.  

However I've noticed a few issues.  The Apple loading bar appears fully loaded right from the start and the screen flashes 3 times before OS appears.  

Once loaded I start to move the mouse and it freezes up, tried with an external mouse and it also freezes up, so I don't think it has anything to do with the VoodooPS2.  After about a min or so the mouse begins to work without freezing.  Wasn't having this issue with 10.12.3.  Not really a big deal because this is really my backup PC but still curious to find out why this might be happening and if others are also experiencing similar issues.

Any clue as to what could be causing this?   I'm thinking maybe the graphic kexts or something in the config.plist might need a new entry or change?  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I gave that a shot, still the same issue.  However I've been keeping on eye on things and it appears it could be Sophos Home Anti-Virus that is causing the freezing.  The delay lasts approx 45 seconds, where the mouse intermittently freezes but I noticed that during that time Sophos is checking for updates.  Once the Sophos symbol becomes visible (meaning it has finished checking for updates) the mouse begins to work normally.  It's really not a big deal though because after the first minute it works beautifully.  Much better then before.  Those Lilu kexts help a great deal for sure.  

Ok I will have to take a look.  I only have 8gb and unfortunately this version has only one ram slot.  Not sure if it could support a 16 GB stick or not.  It might, Dell says no, but they also said that the Dell Latitude e6420 can only support 8GB but I 've heard many are running 2x8gb sticks.   I'll look into it.  Thanks again.

Just wanted to say that the issue has to do with Haswell CPU's    

Don't believe there are any fixes.  It's ok though.  It just happens for less then a minute then all is well.  Maybe in the future there will be a fix.  Thx for the help everyone.

I have the same laptop as you. this has been a common occurrence for me from day one of installing 10.12.4 . As it turns out the initial glitch in the Apple loading bar is from the GPu and the stutter that comes from the first 40-45 seconds can be reduced by switching to an SSD from an HDD. The stutter is from the system indexing data. If you force login and try a spotlight search you'll find nothing comes up for quite a while.

The i3-4005U is very poor at login/boot time. I normally tend to boot the laptop and leave it there for a while before attempting to login.