Bluetooth reconnect after wake from sleep

joe82

Has this "fix" for the bluetooth not working after coming out sleep been integrated into a current EDP?

I have a D430 built with the July 12th bootpack and EDP version 396.

I'm willing to install a custom BIOS if that is the solution as well.

Thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks joe82 - really appreciated your help!

I tried it but it didn't solve my particular issue - which I think is a bit more fundamental. I lose bluetooth completely on wake from sleep - not just the mouse connection. The bluetooth symbol appears crossed / greyed out.

It sounds like the same thing that was happening to me.

After a wake, the Bluetooth device was no longer present.

You can check this by going the following

ioreg -lw0 > OUT1

then sleep and wake the machine

ioreg -lw0 > OUT2

Look in OUT1

The Bluetooth devices are usually USB plugins.

You should see the following under one of your USB devices.

| | +-o EHCI@1D,7 <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x10000018d, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (419 ms), retain 12>

| | | |

| | | +-o IOService <class IOService, id 0x100000200, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 4>

| | | |

| | | +-o AppleUSBEHCI <class AppleUSBEHCI, id 0x100000201, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (287 ms), retain 17>

| | | |

| | | +-o EHCI Root Hub Simulation@1D,7 <class IOUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x100000203, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (46 ms), retain 12>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o AppleUSBHub <class AppleUSBHub, id 0x10000020f, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 10>

| | | | | {

| | | | +-o IOUSBInterface@0 <class IOUSBInterface, id 0x100000211, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | |

| | | +-o HubDevice@fd200000 <class IOUSBHubDevice, id 0x100000254, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (19 ms), retain 14>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o AppleUSBHub <class AppleUSBHub, id 0x100000257, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 10>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o IOUSBInterface@0 <class IOUSBInterface, id 0x100000259, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2 <class IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2, id 0x100000287, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | |

| | | +-o HubDevice@fd800000 <class IOUSBHubDevice, id 0x10000025a, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (14 ms), retain 10>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o AppleUSBHub <class AppleUSBHub, id 0x10000025d, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 6>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o IOUSBInterface@0 <class IOUSBInterface, id 0x10000025f, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2 <class IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2, id 0x100000288, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | |

| | | +-o HubDevice@fd230000 <class IOUSBHubDevice, id 0x100000261, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (9 ms), retain 12>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o AppleUSBHub <class AppleUSBHub, id 0x100000263, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o IOUSBInterface@0 <class IOUSBInterface, id 0x100000265, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2 <class IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2, id 0x100000289, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | |

| | | +-o WirelessControllerDevice@fd240000 <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x10000026a, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (195 ms), retain 12>

| | | | |

| | | | +-o AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController <class AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController, id 0x10000026d, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 10>

| | | | | |

| | | | | +-o IOBluetoothHCIUserClient <class IOBluetoothHCIUserClient, id 0x100000280, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>

| | | | | |

| | | | | +-o IOBluetoothHCIUserClient <class IOBluetoothHCIUserClient, id 0x1000003d6, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>

I removed some out the output so it would be readable. The red is the important stuff.

My Bluetooth device is under the EHCI device.

Your USB devices are: UHC2, UHC3, UHC4, UHC5, UHC6, EHCI, EHC2 for intel

and USB1, USB2, USB3, USB4, USB5, EHCI, EHC2 for nvidia.

Now look at OUT2.

I believe the Bluetooth device is no longer there. I believe the USB bus and or the

Bluetooth device is not being restored.

If this is what is happening, look at you BIOS settings.

I had to set the following options for things to work

Onboard Devices

External USB ports: Enabled

Integrated USB Hub: High Speed

Power Management

USB Wake Support: Enabled

POST Behavior

USB Emulation: Enabled

• Administrators

@djpumpkin: my apologies, I deleted your post by mistake.

To answer your question about not seeing the same settings on your D630 (namely 'integrated USB hub'): that's normal as the BIOS settings do differ between D620 and D630. Have a look at the dedicated BIOS settings posts in the D6xx section.

djpumpkin

Yes, that is a terminal command.

Click on "Applications" then "Utilities" then "Terminal"

Then execute the commands.

As for your question on the "Integrated USB Hub" parameter.

I guess Dell has changed the BIOS between the D620, and

the D630. It might be a different name now, or they have added

other options. I wish I could see your BIOS screens. Try those

ioreg commands and lets verify what is happening. I might be

able to change a different portion of the same USB devices. The

current device read the devices and returns values based on the

configuration. I am not clear is hard wiring the return values is

valid.

Herve,

What you say sounds consistent with what I saw before this change.

Original I had to change the parameter "hibernatemode " as specified

to get sleep/wake to work. With this USB change, I am able to use the

default value.

It seems to me updating the D620(nvidia) DSDT should fix that problem.

You can make the change yourself, or I can make the change and attach it.

Your call.

@Hervé - no problem :)

@joe82

Look in OUT1

The Bluetooth devices are usually USB plugins.

You should see the following under one of your USB devices.

Where exactly am I looking here? System profiler?

When I enter the commands in terminal nothing seems to happen...

The command "ioreg -lw0 > OUT1" runs the ioreg command and saves the output in a file called "OUT1".

You can look at the file using the textedit command.

Click on "Applications" then "TextEdit".

Open the file in the directory that comtains OUT1.

Use the "Find" command from the Edit menu to look for "AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController ".

You should find it.

Then do a sleep followed by a wake and re-run the ioreg command saving the output to a new file.

Say OUT2.

When you open that file and search for "AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController ", I believe it will not be there.

It might be best if you attach both files to this topic so we all can see what is happening.